1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Would like to reduce RAM usage

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chrisr1979, Dec 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chrisr1979

chrisr1979 Thread Starter

Hi here are my system details:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T3400 @ 2.16GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 1915 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family, 829 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 76153 MB, Free - 18556 MB; E: Total - 74971 MB, Free - 50500 MB;
    Motherboard: TOSHIBA, Portable PC
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

Thanks for reading, basically my RAM usage percentage is around 70% and i'd like to lower this, i have attached 3 screen prints of the processes that are running and would like some advice on which ones i could stop running to help my laptop work better.

processes 1.jpg

processes 2.jpg

processes 3.jpg

2. oneSorcerer

oneSorcerer

A big thing that you're running into is running 64 bit windows with only 2 gb of ram. Pound for pound 64 bit uses more ram than 32 bit. If you upgraded to 32-bit windows 7 you would see an improvement.

3. chrisr1979

Do you know how much it would cost to upgrade to Windows 7?

4. chrisr1979

I'm a bit confused, my details say i am running a 32 bit not 64?

5. oneSorcerer

oneSorcerer

oh, I'm sorry, you are right. I saw the x64 on the processor and didn't even see the operating system spec there, my bad.

You could try a different browser, like firefox or google chrome. They use a bit less than IE. Other than that, all the other things you're running using up memory are system critical.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  7. hrlow2

hrlow2

8. chrisr1979

Thanks for the links, i will give them a read.

It's a toshiba satellite L350-203.

If the behaviours between Vista and 7 are quite similar does that narrow down my options to installing more RAM to improve performance?

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

Not sure why you would want to lower RAM usage. I'm always trying to us more. Sometimes I manage to get up to 95%. RAM in use means less disk access and faster speeds for most everything. You want RAM to be used.

What is your theoretical purpose in trying to lower it?

Generally, more RAM will not make much difference in performance since the machine will use pretty much the same amount no matter how much you have installed. But 2 GB's is definitely low. You would benefit greatly by going to 4 GB's. Beyond that, probably not much improvement unless you use the memory for other purposes, like RAM-disks or virtual machines.

As far as services go, they don't use CPU unless performing a function, so I don't recommend that they be set to manual (or even disabled) most of the time. But they do use RAM, so being low on RAM is one of the only good reasons for turning some services off. You can find reg files to do that automatically, and a list of suggestions here: Windows 7 SP1 Services Configuration.

Other than that, the only way to spare RAM is to run less.

10. chrisr1979

Ok, so i have misunderstood what i have read about RAM. At the moment with 3 IE windows open it is running at 83%, i guess that isn't a problem?

I have looked at how to install new RAM and didn't relise how cheap 4gb was so i may invest in some more RAM.

11. oneSorcerer

oneSorcerer

I would do a little research on your board to make sure what you're buying is compatible. I would get the same PC/Mhz number. Also, some DIMM slots especially older ones will only accept so large of a RAM chip, may want to reference your motherboard's manual if you can find it.

12. chrisr1979

Ok, that's very useful to know thanks. Having looked on Youtube for a 'How to change RAM in a Laptop', it looks as straight forward as changing RAM in a desktop which i've done many years ago as long i buy the right chip.

One further question, is Firefox that much better than IE as my browser regularly 'stops working'.

I've also had the odd problem with booting up the laptop where an error message appears and gives me no option but to shut down and try again, i realise this is vague but if it happens again i will write down the error code.

13. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
  14. hrlow2

hrlow2

And yes, Firefox or Opera is way better than IE.
    And much faster.

15. oneSorcerer

oneSorcerer

Is it a blue screen? Might be memory related so you could be killing two birds with one shotgun.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031092

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice