Would this setup work?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

CoryDSK

The way things are setup, and the fact things cannot be returned, leads me to believe this is probably the best option for me.

What I want to know is would my PC's still be able to see the Xbox so I may use XBConnect? And how much of a hassle is it to install a router, like will I need to install software in all three of my computers?

Thank you (for all past and present help),

Cory

I'm not familiar with XBox so I'll leave that part alone.

Router needs no additional software. The router has an internal "web page" type setup that allows you to enter information specific to your ISP. You get that information from the ISP and if you aren't savvy, you can get your router manufacturer's tech support to walk you through entering that necessary info.

From that point on, all you do is connect as many or as few computers to the router or an uplinked hub/switch and each has instant access to the internet.

CoryDSK

Thank you, Alex.

Now that those questions are out of the way, would that setup work? Can you connect one switch to another to get additional ports (in this case a router to a switch)?

Yes.

To uplink to another switch/hub, you use either the built-in uplink port on the router or switch and in the absence of an uplink port, you us a cross-over cable. The cross-over cable looks just like a regular CAT-5 cable. Unless they are marked as such, you cannot visually distinguish them. The cross-over simply has some wires internally reversed on one of the ends.

You can daisy-chain as many hubs/switches as you like. I think the router will have a limit of 254 computers it can handle.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online