1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Would this work? (External Hard-drive Content)

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by VistaMachine, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. VistaMachine

VistaMachine Thread Starter

Hello, I am not sure if I am posting this in the right forums but here it is.

I recently purchased a EasyCAP DC60 capture card to record some of my video gameplay on. I know it isn't a amazing capture card or anything, I just wanted something I could record a little on and screw around with before I purchased something much better.

Here is my question, the software it came with actually does a pretty good job recording it except for the fact that right now the settings I have it set to (default) makes it so I am getting about a minute recorded per GB used if I remember right. I recorded a three minute clip and it took up i think 3 GB. That ratio is not very good for my laptop, since I only have 160 GB free on my hard-drive. I would change the quality I am recording it in but the other formats it supports makes the picture really blurry and blocky (I am recording in AVI). I would only every be able to record 160 minutes of gameplay and that would not be good for the long six hour gaming session I like to do. So I was wondering if I purchased lets say a 1 TB external hard-drive would there be a way for me to transfer the the software I use to record with directly to the hard-drive and make it so that the videos don't take up space on my hard-drive but instead go directly to the external hard-drive.

Basically could I run the program I use to record and store all the data using only the External Hard-Drive and not have it take up any space on my laptop. I don't know if it is possible, I am hoping someone here with more knowledge than me can help.

Right now here is the quality I have after converting it to .wmv so I could upload it to Youtube:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpwtvJiKtD0

It isn't amazing but it could be worse.

2. thestig07

thestig07

Is there an option the software to choose output destination (I'd be suprised if there isn't). Just set the output destination to the other hard drive.

3. VistaMachine

I have tried to change the destination but it doesn't allow me to change it. I can see the folder it is sent to, but I cannot edit the location it is going to. I don't think, I have tried but let me try it again, it will take a while, my computer laptop takes a few minutes to open the program.

4. VistaMachine

It gives me the option to make a new folder for the destination, I am afraid to change it because I am lucky I got the program to work, do you think I could create a folder on the external Hard-Drive? and that would work? Maybe?

5. VistaMachine

Ok, sorry noob mistake I just had to create the new folder on the External device. -_-

I tested it with my USB Flash-Drive and it works, see I knew someone here could help:)

Mods you can close this if you want.

6. thestig07

thestig07

Happy to help. Glad you got it sorted.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972000

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice