Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Would you let this bother you?

2K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  FuzzyWuzzy 
#1 ·
Say you buy a new laptop (centrino in this case). Anyways, you put press with your first 2 fingers along the palm rest and lower part of the keyboard in and around the keyboard ok? It feels solid, but you notice that if you press or sometimes rest your palms on it with a good force, that you hear a tiny "tic" noise from the laptops plastic. Now I know this isnt a big deal, cause theres physically nothing wrong with it, but its bothering me. the noise is so minor, its from the plastic. But I know all laptops will do this right?
The only way to get rid of this is to use a metal part of top or something. Is there any kind of material I can put on top so its more comfy for me and less annoying.

BTW - I have OCD on this big time. The last thing I need is to be sitting here all day and pressing on it.

#2 ·
If I could afford to buy a new laptop like yours, I wouldn't care if it laughed out loud when I pressed hard on it........But, here are a couple of solutions you might try.

1 - Wear ear plugs.
If it's just a tiny sound that will take care of hearing it.

2 - Put a small band aid over the spot.
This will satisfy the need to touch it in such a way that makes the sound.
It would be a visual and tactile reminder not to press hard on that spot.

Hope this helps, but is you really can't get over this.....Give it to me. :)

#3 ·
Thanks for the input :)

Im at school right now, sitting in the library full of ethernet ports. Everyone has the Toshiba A70 (which I had and changed it for this centrino). Since its only got 2hours batt life, they all have theirs plugged in and have to lugg around the power cable everywhere on campus LOL. Whereas me, no wires, just my internet thats it. LOL Its funny. Everyone has the same laptop and I have a centrino LOL. Theres no need for me to bring a power cable most days considering, I only use it for maybe 3hours max at school each day. The battery life of centrino, gotta love that.

Bandaid, thats interesting.

ive been looking around at everyone else and I notice that not many people rest their palms on the palm rest. They rest it on the edge of the table and have thier fingers lightly sinking into the keyboard without even touch the palm rest plastic. Im trying this right now, maybe this is my best bet. If I can get used to this, then it will solve the problem. Im trying to get this off my mind. Im sure 99% of people who have laptops could care less about if their plastic made any noise whatnot. But Im really looking into some sort of material to lay on top to make it more comfy for the palms. Maybe some sort of fuzzy material to put on everytime I use, then take off hwen I close.

#4 ·
Yes, it would bother me very much.. Mainly because it is BRAND NEW!

I would contact the manufacturer and have them replace it... if they don't, take it back to the place you bought it, if within the xx days exchange time-frame and tell them you want to exchange it for a new one.

Shane

#5 ·
finwood said:
If I could afford to buy a new laptop like yours, I wouldn't care if it laughed out loud when I pressed hard on it........But, here are a couple of solutions you might try.

1 - Wear ear plugs.
If it's just a tiny sound that will take care of hearing it.

2 - Put a small band aid over the spot.
This will satisfy the need to touch it in such a way that makes the sound.
It would be a visual and tactile reminder not to press hard on that spot.

Hope this helps, but is you really can't get over this.....Give it to me. :)
im guessing you know what im talking about exactly when I say plastic making a tick noise right? squeeze anything thats plastic in your house right now, it will make this noise cause plastic is just like that.

thats why i wish they had metal laptops

#6 ·
pinntech said:
Yes, it would bother me very much.. Mainly because it is BRAND NEW!

I would contact the manufacturer and have them replace it... if they don't, take it back to the place you bought it, if within the xx days exchange time-frame and tell them you want to exchange it for a new one.

Shane
heres the thing ok. I have had 4 toshiba laptops in the past 15 days. 3 of them were A70 P4's and just got the centrino last night.

The first one, I didnt notice any noise or any suppresion by the plastic going in a bit when pressing on it. But the screen rim was very loose and squeaked like nuts. Then the 2nd one, had a stiff space key where the left side would take more force to press and it didnt feel right when typing - it thru me off. So I changed that one too. The 3rd one, same thing with the space bar - drove me nuts. I need equeal feedback on all the keys when typing and I like them soft with very little stiffness and spring action. The 2nd and 3rd ones also suffered from this palm rest problem. The 3rd one was really bad. The entire left side of the laptop was loose and the sides near the touchpad would sink in when you press it. You could tell that there was an "air gap" if thats what you want to call it. Ever heard of this? I dont know if this is the proper name. You press it, and you feel a section or small area of the palm rest sink in and you could actually see it move a tiny bit if you look in good lighting and from an angle.

#7 ·
FuzzyWuzzy said:
heres the thing ok. I have had 4 toshiba laptops in the past 15 days. 3 of them were A70 P4's and just got the centrino last night.

The first one, I didnt notice any noise or any suppresion by the plastic going in a bit when pressing on it. But the screen rim was very loose and squeaked like nuts. Then the 2nd one, had a stiff space key where the left side would take more force to press and it didnt feel right when typing - it thru me off. So I changed that one too. The 3rd one, same thing with the space bar - drove me nuts. I need equeal feedback on all the keys when typing and I like them soft with very little stiffness and spring action. The 2nd and 3rd ones also suffered from this palm rest problem. The 3rd one was really bad. The entire left side of the laptop was loose and the sides near the touchpad would sink in when you press it. You could tell that there was an "air gap" if thats what you want to call it. Ever heard of this? I dont know if this is the proper name. You press it, and you feel a section or small area of the palm rest sink in and you could actually see it move a tiny bit if you look in good lighting and from an angle.
So my parents dont really want to be making another trip to the store.

#11 ·
johnwill said:
I've never seen anyone that has more issues with a bunch of different laptops! :rolleyes: Are you always this difficult to please?
sorry but im suffering from OCD.

#12 ·
this is what i was told by the comp techies. They said no laptop will be made perfect and feel like a tank, meaning there will eventually be noise or gaps when pressed, cause the plastic chassis flexes and is normal. If it was too solid, then the plastic would break.

#14 ·
Skivvywaver said:
Everything bothers me so I guess it would get on my nerves but I wouldn't worry about it.:)
much easier said than done when you have OCD on this issue and plastic creaking when in contact. What a waste of time for me, an embarrasing night. I guess Ill have to live with it,

I have a bit of noise from the plastic on the right side of the touch pad when I rest my palsm on it.

I dont know how to tackle this. I think the best way is to try my best to not use the palm rest and not touch the plastic at all but for the keys when typing. That way i will get used to it and eventually pass time. At this time, I will no longer baby my laptop and be so anal about minor MINOR things most people wouldnt even notice.

#15 ·
FuzzyWuzzy said:
much easier said than done when you have OCD on this issue and plastic creaking when in contact. What a waste of time for me, an embarrasing night. I guess Ill have to live with it,

I have a bit of noise from the plastic on the right side of the touch pad when I rest my palsm on it.

I dont know how to tackle this. I think the best way is to try my best to not use the palm rest and not touch the plastic at all but for the keys when typing. That way i will get used to it and eventually pass time. At this time, I will no longer baby my laptop and be so anal about minor MINOR things most people wouldnt even notice.
I guess if it bothered me enough I would try to brace it up somehow. Try putting something over it to sturdy it up. If it works then find a way to permanently attach it. I'd try a piece of thick plastic and if it worked I'd epoxy it in place.

They do make laptops for heavy field use that are quite sharp looking, quite powerful, and I am sure quite expensive. A friend of mine brought one to a reunion we have yearly. His company footed the bill for it. It was aluminum, waterproof, and looked like you could run over it with a truck and still boot it up. I think I remember him saying something like $3500 for it. He works in the oil fields so I guess it would have to be tough. I forget who made it, but I could find out if you wanted me to.

I don't think I'd pay $3500 to cure an OCD though. And don't get embarrassed either. We are all a little computer obsessed around here.

#16 ·
Skivvywaver said:
I guess if it bothered me enough I would try to brace it up somehow. Try putting something over it to sturdy it up. If it works then find a way to permanently attach it. I'd try a piece of thick plastic and if it worked I'd epoxy it in place. I don't think I'd pay $3500 to cure an OCD though. And don't get embarrassed either. We are all a little computer obsessed around here.
thanks kindly sky for the comments and suggestions.

first, what do you mean try to brace it up? you mean raise the back? cause theres no adjustable feet, just rubber mounts on the bottom so its already brought up a bit (to let the heat vent too).

I notice this centrino gets VERY hot holy wow. I thought they stay cooler than P4s LOL.

What kind of material did you have in mind to sturdy it up? I was thinking of putting some sort of material on the areas where my palms would rest to maybe i dont know, lessen the pressure put on the laptop itself. I truly think that, since its a centrino and its quite a bit thinner than the P4's - that the plastic would be less durable and since more heat will be trapped inside the unit due to the smaller casing and less powerful fan, that the plastic would be more creaky.

Thick plastic? How would I go about this and stick it on? Dont forget, if its too thick, Ill have to remove it everytime I close the notebook.

I am embarassed. I spent 3hours (2 ways) on the bus travelling all the way to the end of the city to the store hoping to change it for another. But the guys said too many exchanges and said theres nothing wrong iwth it. I was pissed, I argued. See, its an OCD issue, its not the laptop, its all in my head, and I need to get it out asap.

#17 ·
you want to know my solution? i have to stop BABYING the thing and treat it like normal, not like some heavenly gift. Over time I know I will start to realize it will get its marks and etc.

This is why I hate buying new stuff sometimes - I always expect it to be made perfectly. Thinking too much like a perfectionist. I have to realize nothing is perfect and even manufacturers cant make every single laptop exactly alike. Some you will have softer keys on them, others will have maybe a bit tougher to open hinge, or etc

#18 ·
FuzzyWuzzy said:
you want to know my solution? i have to stop BABYING the thing and treat it like normal, not like some heavenly gift. Over time I know I will start to realize it will get its marks and etc.

This is why I hate buying new stuff sometimes - I always expect it to be made perfectly. Thinking too much like a perfectionist. I have to realize nothing is perfect and even manufacturers cant make every single laptop exactly alike. Some you will have softer keys on them, others will have maybe a bit tougher to open hinge, or etc
Maybe you are right. When I first get a new car I baby the thing, listen for knocks and pings and such. Wax the paint off it also. After about 2-3 months it sits there begging for a wash job. I laugh at its dirty headlights, toowee to your wash job pigmobile ha ha!:D

I am much the same after I do any major upgrade to my machine. I tweak I tune, and I check voltages and temperatures. After awhile I don't pay any attention to any of it which reminds me. I need to at least open it up and look to see if it needs blown out. :)

#19 ·
exactly and thats why im being so anal about everything. I mean seriously, people who buy laptops how many check for plastic creaking - NO ONE they could simply careless really.

ummm, i really need to stop thsi NOW.

I do have some good news though. I just tried putting some paper underneath the center of the laptop between the 2 feet in the corners and it seems alot more solid. So right now im really considering putting some sort of material on the bottom along the bottom back of the laptop just to have more support since its such a thin laptop.

do you think most people who have laptops rest their palms on the rest or rest their wrists along the table edge and only touch their fingers with the keboard.

oh crap, i just noticed that .....

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.