wouldnt start

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

pistons014

i had added a 40 GB hardrive to my windows 98 pc
the sound never worked and i checked the jumpers and fixed that
then when i turned on the computer after the screen got to the WINDOWS 98 screen the screebn went black and the button light orange
i tried taking the jumpers oout but it didnt work
what is wrong

First, try reseating the video card, it may not have good contact if you have been juggling things around.

Have you tried starting in Safe Mode? (ctrl key on startup>boot menu>safe mode)

You can also try restoring a registry. (ctrl key>boot menu>command prompt option). At the c:\prompt, enter:

scanreg /restore

and select a prior started registry.

(And are you sure the BIOS supports a 40gb drive?)

pistons014

ok i tryed some of the things but none of them work
should i try to put the video card in a different slot
or try a different video card
i didnt think it was the card because it got up to the windows 98 screen
iit never let me type i n scanreg:( :( :( :( :(

Before you can do a scanreg /restore you need to access what is known as the Boot Menu. If you haven't gotten that it usually means you haven't pressed and held the cntrl key early enough in the boot process. You must do it as soon as you hear the POST beep. Repeatedly tapping f8 will also work in Win98 (and is the only way in Win95).

Once you get the Boot Menu, you must choose one of the command prompt options; If you have problems getting to a "normal command prompt", try the "safe mode command prompt"

then you can enter:

scanreg /restore

You also need to get the Boot Menu to try a boot in safe mode. This too is a vital troubleshooting step too try.

I'm sorry if this repeats what you've already tried, but I need to know whether you can get that Boot Menu.

This covers much of where I'm trying to take you...

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q188/8/67.asp

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online