1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WoW FPS Problem

Discussion in 'Games' started by FatAdz, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FatAdz

FatAdz Thread Starter

Hey there,

I've read many a forum post before about bad 'lag' issues, however, my problem is not with this so called lag, whereby I cannot control my character, and say if I press 'W', my character moves forward 2 minutes later. My problem, I think, as I have a very limited knowledge on these complex topics, is a problem with my FPS. I get terrible lag, almost everywhere I go. Any solutions, anything would help?
    I run WoW on Windows XP Media Center Edition, with 512MB of RAM, and on what I think is called a DSL internet connection, I just call it broadband. ;)

Thanks in advance.

2. line.ex

line.ex

The official WoW tech support forums are very good for these issues. But in-game press ctrl+r and a frame rate (fps) counter will come up. If thats above around 15-20 thats not the cause of the lag (go durotar or another pre-tbc non city area). Also whats your ms (next to your backpack, little green/yellow/red bar, just hover over) this should be less than 200 most of the time but wont really lag if you get over 1000 most of the time.

Your low ram says to me that the graphics may be the problem. But to know this we need more information about it. Like your system specs, go to start>run>"dxdiag" then save it as notepad doc and post here so we know if your running low on the system specs and there are mods you can make to the files to improve performance.

3. FatAdz

FatAdz Thread Starter

Well, my frame rate is usually at around 15-20, and my latency never goes above 200, but I still get lag. Here are my DxDiag system specs:
    Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: iQon.ie
    System Model: MS-7173
    BIOS: Default System BIOS
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs)
    Memory: 512MB RAM
    Page File: 294MB used, 459MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

I was thinking of upgrading my RAM to 1GB, you think that would help?

4. line.ex

line.ex

yes upgrading the ram will speed it up.

But i would turn down some of the settings, turn down the textures and the terrain distance, as well as dont push it with the resolution, nothing above 1024x768. Post the dxdiag for graphics but im pretty sure these should increase things alot. But as you are already getting 15-20 fps you shouldnt be lagging like you say (you see at 20 fps...)

5. FatAdz

FatAdz Thread Starter

I sure hope upgrading my RAM will improve the lag, walking through Orgrimmar is hell on Earth, I swear. Here are my DxDiag Display Devices:
    Card name: ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 Series
    Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
    Chip type: ATI Radeon Xpress Series AGP (0x5A61)
    DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5A61&SUBSYS_71731462&REV_00
    Display Memory: 64.0 MB
    Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
    Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
    Driver Name: ati2dvag.dll
    Driver Version: 6.14.0010.6715 (English)
    DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail

6. line.ex

line.ex

humm maybe get 1.5gb of ram (just get a 1gb stick and shove it next to the 512), but only if you have the space, you may only have 2 ram slots. Then you can up the power to the video card and give it 128mb of memory to play with (should be able to in the bios, dont have a great dealing with on board graphics but some allow it).

7. FatAdz

FatAdz Thread Starter

Okay, thanks for the advice. :)
    Any idea of how to change the power to the video card with the BIOS, do I do it during startup?

8. line.ex

line.ex

well dont do it before you upgrade the ram. If you know how to get into the bios great, but each motherboard has a different key (common one is F2, well in my experience). But there are millions of combinations that they can use. Once your in guide yourself to the graphics panel and it should be obvious, hover over where it will say "allocated ram 64mb" or something similar and just press enter on it, if 128 is in the list go on (dont go higher than that, even if you can) then press save and exit (usually hotkey'd at F10 i think, but check it will say along the bottom of the screen) then boot up normally!

9. line.ex

line.ex

well dont do it before you upgrade the ram. If you know how to get into the bios great, but each motherboard has a different key (common one is F2, well in my experience). But there are millions of combinations that they can use. Once your in guide yourself to the graphics panel and it should be obvious, hover over where it will say "allocated ram 64mb" or something similar and just press enter on it, if 128 is in the list go on (dont go higher than that, even if you can) then press save and exit (usually hotkey'd at F10 i think, but check it will say along the bottom of the screen) then boot up normally!

edit: getting into your bios, the manual says

basically when its says press DEL to enter setup, press DEL (or delete on some keyboards)

10. FatAdz

FatAdz Thread Starter

Thanks so much, I tried changing the BIOS, and it worked a wonder, I can't express my feelings of gratitude. :)

Thanks again, for your help.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/649501

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice