1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WoW Sudden Frame Rate Plummet!

Discussion in 'Games' started by Iyicdii, Dec 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iyicdii

Iyicdii Thread Starter

Hey all,

So let me explain my story from the beginning. Here were the specs of my PC about 2 weeks ago:

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz
    RAM: 6.0GB Triple-Channel DDR3 @ 530MHz
    MB: EVGA 141-BL-E757 (Socket 423)
    Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 4890
    Display: SONY TV @ 1920x1080
    HDs: 39.1GB INTEL SSDSA2M040G2GC ATA Device (SATA) - Windows installed on this one
    488GB Western Digital WDC WD5001AALS-00L3B2 ATA Device (SATA)

I play WoW by the way. With these specs, I was able to play before the new expansion Cataclysm on max settings with 60 FPS, and I was able to play after this expansion on max settings as well.

That is... until I decided to get the new Steelseries WoW Cataclysm Gaming Mouse to play with. Received it in the mail about a couple weeks ago, plugged it in while my PC was already on, and installed its drivers from Steelseries' site. I was very happy with my new mouse because it had awesome hotkeys on it and worked perfectly when I played - great! ... Right?

Well, the next day, I go to turn on my PC, and right after the screen in the BIOS where it lists like your processor, RAM, etc, the start up stalls on a black screen with one blinking underscore in the top left corner. It doesn't pass this screen. Frantic, I research what to do in this situation, and I find a suggestion online to try resetting the CMOS. I tried this, and nothing happened.

My dad told me that it was probably the mouse that was causing my PC to not start up, so I unplug it and start up again. Well, I got a little farther this time, the start up sequence got as far as where it displays "Starting Windows" with a black background (where the 4 lights that make the windows insignia circle in to form the panes of the windows logo)... however, the lights never came. Instead my PC now was stalled with just the words "Starting Windows" showing. So, I hit the reset button on my PC, and after the BIOS, it asks me if I want to troubleshoot start up or start windows, I choose start windows. And finally, mouse unplugged, after hard resetting during one start up stall, my PC boots "properly."

So after it is started up, I plug my mouse back in, and log onto WoW. The pixel perfect max settings that I was used to playing on were now the most choppy, unplayable graphics I had ever experienced. Frame rates less than 10 FPS. On the same exact settings that, just the day before, were giving me 60 FPS play. What could this possibly be? I figured it was a problem with my graphics card, I mean it is ~ 1.5 years old, it technically could go bad.

So just today, I got a nice Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 to replace it. Same exact, horrible graphics. I got Speccy online, and used it to check some things on my PC. My CPU is ~50 degrees Celsius, GPU at ~50 degrees Celsius. These seem to be normal temperatures, so I don't think anything in my PC is overheating.

Finally, I tried taking the new Cataclysm mouse out of the picture, to see if it truly was the cause of this problem. I plugged in another, simple mouse, uninstalled the drivers/program for the Cataclysm mouse, and restarted the PC. Well... same problem, with a totally different mouse and no Cataclysm mouse drivers installed....

Can anyone pleeeeeease help me solve this problem? It is incredibly frustrating trying everything I know and that has been recommended to me by friends and none of it working.

Thanks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970668

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice