1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WOW & Warhammer freezes, black screen

Discussion in 'Games' started by Surfpipe, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Surfpipe

Surfpipe Thread Starter

System only freezes up after playing either WOW or Warhammer for about 5 minutes. Sometimes you hear sound continuing while screen is black. Sometimes the sound will make a repetitious stuttering type of duh-duh-duh-duh sound. The only way to continue is to do a hard reboot (push the button).
    Thank you for help.
    DXDIAG file is too long to post, so it is attached.

Attached Files:

2. Chrismichael

Chrismichael

I had a problem like this about a year ago with WOW, it would display and error stating, "Memory stuck in infinite loop". The problem was a undetected trojan. Not sure if that is your problem but I would consider it.

3. Surfpipe

Surfpipe Thread Starter

It doesn't give any message, simply the black screen, maybe sound, then hangs up totally. I have run Memtest, and it comes up clean. The system excedes the minimum requirements to play the games. As far as an undetected trojan, I have Symantec Antivirus installed, and it hasn't found anything. Any suggestions on how to find an undetected trojan? Thank you for the suggestion.

4. Chrismichael

Chrismichael

I recommend A-Squared Free.
    http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/
    I use it just to double check sometimes, like I said this might not be your problem, but it does not hurt to check. Also if you have any Addons you should just delete them. If this does not help there is another option .

5. Codemaster

Codemaster

Avira is good as well, graphic card drivers updated?

6. Surfpipe

Surfpipe Thread Starter

I ran the A-Squared, found some low and medium risk stuff, no big deal. The graphic card drivers are the latest, but the latest is rather dated. My DXDiag is attached to the first message. Great card, just getting dated. Would that cause this blackout hangup thing? Also, switched to windowed mode and this time the system restarted itself completely.

7. Surfpipe

Surfpipe Thread Starter

Weird. This time in Windowed mode, Warhammer went to a brown screen just a few minutes into the game. continued hearing sound. Was able to click the "X" in the window box and end the game without having to reboot.

8. Chrismichael

Chrismichael

So I'm assuming deleting the medium risk stuff did nothing. So your system freezes after 5 minutes everytime? Maybe reinstalling wow and warhammer would help. I read that deleting your WTF folder fixes some problems in WOW.

9. PsychoBlaze

PsychoBlaze

I'm experiencing problems after 20-30min of play. I'll receive graphic annomolies and either the game will crash to desktop or the game window will freeze and I'll get a windows error that will report itself.

I'm attached the dxdiag

Attached Files:

10. Chrismichael

Chrismichael

So did you just upgrade to xp sp3 and update your drivers

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752764

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice