Wow won't run after changing OS

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Sarcasm8

Recently went from Win 2000 Pro to XP Home Edition. WoW did work on old OS, now when it launches, I hear the music but screen is black and mouse icon not responsive. Only way out is to reboot PC.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

I assume you reinstalled all the mobo/chipset drivers, and the graphics card drivers?

Scorp.

Sarcasm8

Yes. That was all done when the new OS installed.

I have tried these suggestions from other threads:

Delete the WTF and WDB files in your worldofwarcraft folder

Make sure that your interface\addons file is empty in your Wold of warcraft folder

Where it says "C:\Games\World of Warcraft\WoW.exe" add the text "-opengl". Your target line should look something like this:
"C:\Games\World of Warcraft\WoW.exe" -opengl

That last tip also says "You may need to find your car settings and check to see if openGL can be enabled as well." but I don't understand what that means.

The end result is I can now enter my login and password and it downloaded the latest patch, but then I get the black screen and no mouse icon.

If it helps, this is my display info: Name
SiS 661FX_760_741_M661FX_M760_M741
Installed Drivers sisgrv.dll
Driver Version 6.14.10.3540

and you have unistalled it and reinstalled i take it and upgraded your directx to latest.

Sarcasm8

Yes. I have DirectX ver. 9.0c currently, but I see there is a December 2005 version that recently came out. That shouldn't make a difference, correct?

Be warned... blizzard will not support running in -opengl mode... You are better off trying to get it running without that tag added to the target.

I would uninstall and reinstall the WoW program completely and then repatch.

Sarcasm8

OK. I'll remove the tag and see what happens.

Also, I wiped my hard drive and started all over with everything when I changed my OS. So this is a fresh installation of WoW and the patch.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online