1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WPA-PSK network key needed. Can't connect to network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by maximus38, Jun 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. maximus38

maximus38 Thread Starter

I have a dell mini 9 windows xp netbook and am trying to connect to my existing wireless network. I have a D-Link DSL-624M wireless router and am using WPA-PSK Key security encryption on it. When i try to connect to my wireless network using my netbook it asks for the network key. I don't know it and can't find it, even when i open the wireless configuration utility the key isn't shown, its only shown as asterisks.

Is there a way to find the key? Or another way to connect? Or do i have to get rid of my network and start a new one for both my PC and netbook?

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

You have a couple of options. Check the wireless setup menu for your PC (some have an option to show or hide the key text). If that doesn't work then you need to reset the router and assign a new key.

3. zipper1958

zipper1958

Yup, i would do what Frank4d said as i have had to do that a few times and it works well ! I know that when ever i have had slow page loads i can reset the modem or router and it seems to make everything work better, i don't know why or how it works but it does. The key can easily be reset to a new one by going into your router settings, easier resetting than trying to remember or figure out what the old key is.

4. tek guy

tek guy

I would suggest to replace the black dots or accessories instead of resetting the router because you may lost the connection into the router and you might reconfigured everything for the Internet connection. If you changed the passphrase or the password, change the SSID as well.

5. maximus38

maximus38 Thread Starter

Frank If i reset the router how do i set up my pc and laptop to get on the wireless network?

Tek guy, i'm not quite sure how i go about doing what you suggest?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Can you login to the router? If so, all you have to do is look at the passphrase if it is displayed or else set a new one. You only have to reset the router to factory default settings if you've also forgotten the login password.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/837126

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice