1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wrapping text around graphic in MS Word text boxes

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by annharold, May 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. annharold

annharold Thread Starter

I am using MS Word 2000, I am able to insert a graphic in to a text box, my question is - Is there a way to set the text to wrap around the graphic within the text box? When formatting the graphic the layout tab is grayed out and unusable.

I have tried inserting my graphic in a seperate text box, yes the graphic is now movable, but still cannot wrap the text around this new text box with graphic.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

Ann

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Hi, Ann!

1. You don't NEED to put it into a textbox, but I'll assume you're doing it for some other reason.

2. Click the graphic so you can see the text box's border and click on the text box's border. Hit Format-Textbox, and choose the layout tab. Choose Square or Tight.

~Anne

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Dreamboat, I think the problem arises from having both a picture and the text all within the same text box.

The poster seems to want to be able to wrap text around a picture, that text being also in the same text box as the picture.

In that circumstance the options to wrap are greyed out. (I have tested this)

But then again perhaps I have misread the intent of the original request?

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Indeed. :)
    You could be right!

5. annharold

annharold Thread Starter

Thank you both for your responses.

Kiwiguy is right, I am trying to wrap text around a graphic that I have inserted in a text box. - I am attempting a newsletter, both at home and at work, text boxes seemed to be the way to set up my info., but when trying to add a graphic of any kind, I cannot wrap the text around that graphic if I insert it into the text box in the space it would like it.

Thanks again,
    Ann

6. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Don't put the graphic in the text box. Insert the graphic, then hit Format-Picture, and on the layout tab choose square or tight. Then do the same with the textbox. You can place them side by side. If you have a difficult time in your doc, do it in a blank doc, then group the two exactly how you want them together, then copy and Edit-Paste (or even Paste special, as a picture if you have to. :)

Feel free to attach your doc file here if you need more help.

7. annharold

annharold Thread Starter

Dreamboat,

Thank you, I understand and just tried what you suggested, but if my text is longer/larger than my graphic, is there a way to change the shape of my text box so that it wraps around the picture? Side by side it terrific!! Much better than I had been able to do, but still curious about actually wrapping text around a graphic, - say if I wanted it in the middle of a paragraph.

Thanks again,
    Ann

8. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    I'm trying to figure out what you're trying to do. Can you load your file? Or email it? [email protected] Make sure you describe what you want. Or...if you're in the states and want to call, I'll PM you my phone number. :)

9. annharold

annharold Thread Starter

Dreamboat,

Thank you, I will email you the file.

Ann

10. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Aha! We got the sucker!

1. Copy your title over to a new doc.
    2. Below the title, hit Insert-Break, continuous.
    3. Turn your show/hide button on so you can see where your breaks are. You may also want to Tools-Options, View-Text boundaries so you can see what's what.
    4. With your cursor below the section break, hit Format-Columns and choose 2 and any other settings (no line!), and hit ok.
    5. Copy the text from inside those 2 textboxes and paste into the column areas.
    6. Now place your picture, which you can now set text wrapping on 'cause it's not in a textbox.
    7. Now draw boxes around your 2 columns so they look like they did when you had them in the text boxes. Use the drawing toolbar tools for the rectangle and set to no fill.

I'll send your doc back with those things done to it just in case you can't get it to work right.

11. annharold

annharold Thread Starter

Dreamboat,

THANK YOU! Thank you! Thank you!

I think I finally got it!! Still don't understand why it doesn't work in the text box, but this is terrific!!! I can certainly use columns rather than a text box.

Thanks again,
    Ann

12. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    I sent you 2 emails. One with the doc with a new graphic title, and one with a few more different style titles for your newsletter. That was fun! Can we do it again? :)

13. Martial33

Martial33

First Name:
    Phil
    Hi I would like to revive this thread in lieu of starting another..

Above there are a couple of work around solutions however I'm experiencing the same difficulties when making a newsletter.

See, if you download a template from MS - the generally consensus is to have a few headlines on the first page, then continue the articles on later pages, thus the need for text boxes to keep things organized.

-- You might have several articles starting on the first page, then a "continued on page ..." at end of the first bit of the article.

In this case, you need to use text boxes. And when you use text boxes and insert your pictures, you can't manipulate the text warp options. The best you can do is water mark it so you can barely see the pic. with the text over it but that serves no purpose as is makes the text hard to read and you cant see the pic either.

So I ask again, is there a way to make the text wrap around the pic, within a text
    box? :confused:

PS Im using MS Word 2002

14. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Tools-->Options, Edit tab. "Insert pictures as..." -->Choose Square.
    I think you're pictures are being inserted "inline with text", hence you have no wrapping options.

Hope it helps. :)

15. Martial33

Martial33

First Name:
    Phil
    Anne Troy;

thanks for your reply

I did like you said, "Tools-->Options, Edit tab. "Insert pictures as..." -->Choose Square."

then I went back to the toolbar, insert /picture /from file however after the picture goes in, the options (from right clicking / format picture / layout) is still grayed out.:confused:

ironically, I posted the same picture in a blank space and there is no problem with accessing the text wrap options under format picture / layout.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/229273

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice