Writable space on CD-R

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dbarnby

I'm using Windows XP, and I have a CD-R (containing two folders -- Home, and Inv) on by CD-RW drive (my E: drive). I get two vastly different indications on the amount of space left on that disk.

When in Windows explorer, I highlight the E: drive under "my computer" and right-click and then look at properties. There I am informed that I have 44.6 MB used (666 MB free). This is accompanied by a colorful pie chart showing the same.

But when, I highlight the the folders themselves (Home and Inv), then right click and look at properties I am told it's file sizes are 433 MB and 44.5 MB on disk, respectively. Therefore the total for files on the disk is 477.5 MB, which is way different from the 44.6 MB shown when I highllingt the E: drive which holds the disk.

What's going on, and how can I tell how much space remains on the disk for me to use?

I hope someone can help.
Thanks

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
If this is a multi-session disk, and it obviously is, I suspect that the properties of the whole disk might lie to you. Without knowing what you wrote and in how many sessions, it's hard to know what the truth is.

dbarnby

The Home folder on this disk contains many many files and folders within it (generally Excel and Word), the Inv Folder also contains many folders and files (mostly Excel). In both cases these folders were dragged/dropped onto the CD-R. Does that info help?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Are you using XP's CD burning drivers, or something 3rd party?

dbarnby

The CD in question was made by drag & drop in window's explorer (packet writing to a formatted disk). Generally, to burn, I use Sonic.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online