1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Write Protected Flash Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by markwalker, Jun 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. markwalker

markwalker Thread Starter

Hi there,

I have recently bought a SanDisk Cruzer Micro USB Flash Drive 1.0GB, when inserted into the USB port the software installed correctly, computer recognised the new drive and i rebooted the PC.

The problem i have is that i can't copy any files onto the flash drive (The reason i bought it!) i get the error message stating the drive is Write Protected ! i have checked the unit for any switches, which there are none, i have also tried formatting the drive and get the same error message....

I have googled the problem and can see i am not the only one with this problem on Flash drives but i cannot see how to resolve the problem....

Any idea's?...

Thanks

2. SMurphy

SMurphy

Well calling the help line number that should be on the packaging would be your first step. if it is a common problem they will eb able to let you kow how to fix it or jsut tell you to send it back.

I have had this problem with a USB Stick as well though i fixed mine by opening it up and reomving the write protection switch myself (of course joining the points so the protection was off).

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Did you try formatting it in Disk Management?

Start, Run, diskmgmt.msc

4. markwalker

Yes i have tried formatting it via Disk Management via FAT & FAT32... still no joy..

5. markwalker

I have also now uninstalled the software that came with this product and just using it as a memory stick and i still get the same error message !!

6. thamost

thamost

I know you've tried formatting in FAT and FAT32, but maybe if you try NTFS?

7. markwalker

It doesn't give me the option to do NTFS...

8. thamost

thamost

You have to plug in the Flash Drive, go to my computer, then right click removable disk. Then you click the "hardware" tab, and select SanDisk Cruzer Micro USB Flash Drive (or whatever name the computer assigned it to be). While its highlighted, click properties, and then click the "policies" tab. Select "optimize for performance" and click ok. Now you should be able to format using NTFS, which may help.

9. markwalker

Hi there, completed the above where i got the option to format via NTFS and still get the write protected error !!

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Don't format it NTFS, format it FAT or FAT32

11. markwalker

Finally got round to trying the above, still get same error message :mad:

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/583837

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice