1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Write protected

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dub_fraz, May 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dub_fraz

dub_fraz Thread Starter

Have been using a San Disk Glide 8G flash drive. For no reason(known by me) I cannot format this drive. It informs me it is write protected. Any help would be appreciated.

2. bobs-here

bobs-here

First Name:
    Bob
    some USB drives and SD cards have a physical lock switch that turns on write protection. check to make sure that the drive does not have this lock enabled.

if not...
    Run UsbFix to scan your USB drives. This is a free, open-source program designed to find problems with USB drives and Windows USB drivers. download UsbFix for free from filehippo.
    Click "Research" after launching UsbFix.
    Click "Clean" after the scan has completed.
    Test your USB drives again. this came from the following link which has a guide and step by step for write protection on usb's :
    http://www.wikihow.com/Disable-Write-Protection

3. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Also, a fix found on SanDisk's web forums was to boot in safe mode and try to format then. Maybe it'll work, maybe not?

4. bobs-here

bobs-here

First Name:
    Bob
    worth trying, a least there are other possible solutions, available to help.

5. dub_fraz

dub_fraz Thread Starter

Thanks to all. I tried USB Fix .. that didn't solve the problem.. will try safe mode next. thanks again.

6. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Can you write to it on a different device?

7. dub_fraz

dub_fraz Thread Starter

Firefly..I haven't tried to write to it. I'm trying to format it..however i did put it into usb port on my printer. It still wouldn't format. Its exasperating to say the least..Thanks for your post. Also tried the safe mode approach. That didn't work either. About ready to pitch it. My wife is legally blind so we download books from BARD on these flash drives. Been doing it for about 4 years now & this flash drive is the first we have had trouble with. BARD is a government website for the blind. Thanks again. Dub.

8. bobs-here

bobs-here

First Name:
    Bob
    before ditching it there is a small guide in this link that offers a resolve for write protected flashdrives. worth a try.. see the page:
    http://ccm.net/faq/4214-how-to-disable-write-protection-from-a-usb-key

a save in system restore will help, too before starting...

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  9. dub_fraz

dub_fraz Thread Starter

Hi Bob..The last path (Storage Device Policies), is not there. There is a thread on that same website that shows how to make a new one. I'm not to keen on messing with the registry, but might try it anyway. Thanks for your input. Dub

10. bobs-here

bobs-here

First Name:
    Bob
    your welcome....
    also, i agree with your sentiments entirely, and best left alone if not confident. otherwise system restore is the best insurance

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1170705

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice