Writing to a DVD +R

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mikdread

I am trying to copy some video clips from my hard drive to a new blank DVD(+R) for a friend. However, using the Windows 7 operating system, it won't recognise any of the discs and fails while formatting. At first I put a new disc into the drive and then 'right click' on the video file and send to the E:/DVD drive. It then writes the file to a sub menu and highlights that a file is ready to write to the DVD.
I then click to 'burn' the file to the DVD, and a notice comes up saying 'Please insert blank disc' or it starts writing and just before finishing it says 'Error writing to disc'. It gives me three options to write again to a new disc. I am now on the 7th disc and the others are unusable.

What is going on and why won't it do this simple task?

I am using an ASUS A54C laptop with Windows 7 64 bit premium loaded. The blank discs are standard 'Datawrite' DVD+R 4.7GB single layer discs. I have also tried other discs including -RW, +RW and Dual layered , all of which are now unusable.

Regards
Michael

Are you sure that the DVD drive is a burner? Also, you might look into a program called CDBurnerXP..that is better than the standard windows burner program imo

mikdread

Yes it is a DVD RW DL. The laptop is only 8 month's old. Where do I get CDBurner XP?

If the DVD burner is an external drive, please provide the brand, model # model #.

If it is internal:
Open "computer"
RIGHT click the drive
Left click "properties"
Left click the "hardware" tab
Provide a screen shot
Go the the "recording" tab
Is your drive selected?

For a screen shot, you can create 1 manually [ using Paint ], or
Use W7's snipping tool, or follow the instructions, below
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Use-Snipping-Tool-to-capture-screen-shots

or
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-use-the-windows-snipping-tool/

screenshot

On your keyboard, look for a key labeled "print screen" OR "PrtSc" OR "PRN SCN" or some variation.
When you want to capture that which is displayed, press the print screen button.
Open Paint [ start > programs / all programs > accessories > paint [ rarely MS Paint]
Maximize Paint
left click "edit"
Left click "paste"
file > save as.
Save the file to any location of your choice.
File name: your choice, for example: "filename"
save as type: left click down pointing arrow. Left click jpg / jpeg
Left click "save" / "ok".

The file name has now been saved as filename.jpg [ or filename.jpeg ].

Return to the thread.
Left click "go advanced".

Left click "manage attachments"
left click "browse"
browse to the location, on your computer, where you saved "filename.jpg"
Left click filename.jpg
left click "open"
left click Upload"
close window of upload screen after the file has been uploaded.

enter text into the reply area.
left click "submit"

RF123

SUEOHIO

SUE
Try using a totally free program called burnaware.its very easy to use and very fast at burning. i have it in all of my computers that can read and burn cds/ dvds.it works on xp and windows 7.

mikdread

Not all DVD burners work with all DVD disks. That is less common now than 5 yrs ago, but still occurs.

I use Verbatim brand disks.

Is this your computer?
http://www.asus.com.au/Notebooks/Versatile_Performance/A54C/#specifications

Edit

end edit

Let me Google that for you.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Where+do+I+get+CDBurner+XP

Yes that is my laptop. However I don't know if the DVD is a bluray reader. As far as I can assertain it is a standard DVD burner.

I used CDBurnerXP, and after 5 hours 37 minutes of 'getting ready top burn' I still ended up with a blank DVD. So that didn't work either.

Regards

Michael

RF123

mikdread

Still can't record a DVD. C'mon people help me out!
ASUS A54C, DVD burner, Windows 7 Premium, 500 GB HDD, 4 GB RAM, Broken keyboard*, 9 months old. (*liquor spill)

mikdread

Still can't record a DVD. C'mon people help me out!
ASUS A54C, DVD burner, Windows 7 Premium, 500 GB HDD, 4 GB RAM, Broken keyboard*, 9 months old. (*liquor spill)

you have probably told us the answer(broken keyboard/liquer spill) the DVD driver is under the keyboard and is more than likely to have suffered the liquid damage

SUEOHIO

SUE
More than likely in addition to replacing the keyboard the cd/dvd drive will also need replaced. when things get spilled in a laptop at least theres no telling what other damage has been caused.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online