1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

writing to /usr

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by trevor1, Feb 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. trevor1

trevor1 Thread Starter

well, is there anyway to do it? i need to because when i installed mdk 9 i made that partition way huge and made root and swap way small, need some space in the usr partition!!!

2. lynch

lynch

Hi,trevor1.What exactly are you trying to do?
    /usr is used mostly for programs installed by the user.Not that you couldnt write to it as root, as it is configured that way by default.
    It's a permissions thing,I think.
    Are you still using your same partition scheme? Why is / (root)made small?Or did you mean /boot?
    Can you write to /home ok?
    lynch

3. trevor1

trevor1 Thread Starter

No, my root is only 256 megabytes, i didnt know thats the main partition used for regular storage. i think my /usr partition is like 3gb. does /swap have to be big? i need the xtra space on my linux drive because i only have 13 mb of room left in /root!!!!

4. lynch

lynch

Ok,I see the problem you have.
    The file system hirearchy is like this:
    /=root.This is the directory under which all the other system directories should reside.Not to be confused with /root,which is the root user's home directory.
    These other directories should always be on the same partition as / :
    /bin
    /dev
    /etc
    /lib
    /mnt
    /proc
    /root-in theory you might be able to put this on a seperate partition but there's no good reason to.
    /sbin
    /tmp-see note after /root:)
    The other standard directories can reside on thier own partitions:
    /boot-with the size of hard drives being pretty big you can safely make this 100-250MB

/opt-if this directory is on your / partition,it's probably why your almost out of space.It's where most commercial packages are installed.

/usr-most user installed packages go here.

/home-this depends on disk size and # of users,but should be large enough to hold just about everything you save offline and/or download from the 'net.

/var-this can have it's own partition but I'd only consider that if the computer is being used as a server.

the commonly suggested size of the swap partition is 2 x ram.If you have a large amount of ram,say 512MB or more, it could be half of that.

I get by nicely with a 2 partition setup on my everyday box:
    swap=512MB
    / =19GB
    My other comps have a 250MB /boot partition but the 2 will suffice.If your Linux system spans 2 or more drives the advanced partitioning schemes come into play.
    I sure hope that helps:)
    lynch

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118710

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice