1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Writing Using MS Word

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Martial33, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Martial33

Martial33 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Phil
    Hi there

I had some questions about MS Word.

I have some 200 pages of notes written that need to be put into order.

If you create a Table of Contents in Word, is there any easy way to move all the pertaining Notes into the relative chapters created in the TofC?

Second, what format do publishers want? e.g. does the paper size in word make a difference? or just keep it to letter size?

While were on this topic, what's the difference between a script and a screenplay?

Thanks for your help.

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi,
    I'm not too sure about the Works question, but I wonder if "Roughdraft" through this link might be of any help?
    http://www.richardsalsbury.com/

Richard

3. Martial33

Martial33 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Phil
    any other suggestions on this?

ideally, is there anyway to grab pertaining notes and drop them in a "chapter" of the book? That would be ideal.

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    One way to create a ToC in Word is to have it based on using up to nine levels of "Heading Styles". You first create the document using as many heading levels as needed and then add your body text (your notes in this case) under the correct heading. In your case the top level headings (Heading 1) would be your chapter titles.

EDIT: If the notes in your original Word document are in random order, it might be easier to create a new Word document with the desired Heading 1 chapter titles and then copying and pasting the notes from the old to the new document.

5. Martial33

Martial33 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Phil
    yes, this is closer to the truth. the notes are in random order.

I was thinking along that line, make a new word doc, but lets say there are 20 pages of what should be chapter 1, does this mean you have to go through all the 200 some pages of notes, find the ones pertaining to chapter 1, then copy them over to there?

I was thinking its more like, you are going through the notes and you fond one pertaining to ch 1, then 2 pertaining to ch 4 -- there must be a way to drag and drop them onto the pertaining chapters isn’t there? -- This would drop the notes into that set of pages.

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I am using Word 2003 and not sure if this applies to other versions as well.

With two Word documents open at the same time, There is a Window menu option for comparing two documents side by side. In my test case I had an older document with text on the left and a new blank document on the right.

I added a couple of Heading-1 Lines in the new document.

I selected a block of text in the left document by clicking and dragging through the desired section. I released the mouse button and then clicked in the selected area.

While holding down the mouse button, I could then drag the selection to the desired location. Note that this removes the text from the original document and moves it to the new one. You may want to make a duplicate backup copy of the original notes document.

Once the new document gets kind of long, it may get to be a bit of a chore to scroll up and down to the next entry point if you are jumping between chapters. Activating Document Map in the View menu for the new document splits the screen and gives you clickable links that jump to the start of each chapter heading in the document.

7. Martial33

Martial33 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Phil
    Chuck thanks

.. there is a way to compare and track changes in my version (2000) but no window like you describe. I guess that is coming in the future.:D

Im starting to think the only way this is going to work is a) open two docs and sift through the first one (200 pages) picking out chapter 1 points cutting and pasting them in the new document, then going to ch 2 etc. being as it takes me about a year to get through a book, by my calulactions, I could be finished in 127 years (assuming no power failures or HD crashes):eek:

In both Premiere Pro 2.0 and wave studio for editing audio, the way to break down the larger project is to keep building new sequences -- usually from the original.

At least with those programs you can do like you say, move assets from the main timeline into a new timeline which can be saved as something totally different.

Unfortunately I just don't know if there's any other way other than going through the original document page by page and extracting pertinent bits to a new document along the way.

Thanks for your help.

Edit: The only saving grace is that it may be like a sliding scale -- that is, the more you get done for less there is to work on! By my calculations this has cut my work down from 127 years down to a seemingly manageable 85 years!

8. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    One other way that may be harder or easier to sort out your notes would be to first make as many copies of the notes file as there are chapters and name the files Chapter01.doc, Chapter02.doc, Chapter 03.doc, etc. Then open the Chapter01.doc file and delete everything that is not related to chapter 1. Save the edited chapter file. Work in a similar manner on the other chapter files. Create you master document with the chapter headings and then copy the entire contents of each of the chapter files under the correct heading. Things get a lot more complicated if you need the notes in a given chapter to be in a different order than in the original notes.

9. Martial33

Martial33 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Phil
    Chuck

again, a brilliant reply thanks! you muct have a high IQ!

I was hoping someone was going to say there is some program out there that allows drag and drop to the related chapters - I guess that would be too easy?

10. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Not sure about the IQ part. It may have more to do with my nature of having the same two steps at the start of working on a project; 1) Can I use the Tom Sawyer method of getting someone else to do it :D and if #1 is not possible then 2) Try to find an easier/quicker way to do it myself. :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!