wrong Alpha dog on network of 3

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

gladtoknow

Sorry if this has been addressed, I'm just too tired of trying to figure this out. My main computer (supposedly) is a desktop running Vista Home Premium 64 bit. The other two are a lap top and another desktop both running Vista Home Basic 32 bit.
My grandson who usually is very good on machines set me up between the lap top and my HP desktop that's running the 64 bit. Now I find out the laptop is the Alpha leader and not my desktop. Can this be changed. We couldn't set up the third one as Santa hadn't delivered it yet. I now can't connect to the internet on the desktop but can on the laptop. Help if you can Plese.

TerryNet

Terry
About what are you talking? Please describe your network and what your problem or question is.

A "typical" home network has a modem and a router and multiple computers connected to the router. All the computers have equal status, but you can think of one of them as your "main" computer or your "server."

Or do you just have a modem and then one computer with ICS enabled and you want to change the ICS machine?

gladtoknow

I have three computers all capable of wireless. I have a router and a modem but not sure how they are set up. If you'll forgive me, I'll check on things tomorrow afternoon and let you know. Today has been a really rough one and I'm so frustrated that nothing is m aking any sense at present. I wanted the Desktop here in the computer/machine knit room to be the main computer with a laptop and an additional desktop in my husbands office to be the third one. At this point, I've been unable to open my ISP connection on the main computer and the one on the laptop will work on the net okay. I haven't tried it on my husbands yet. The laptop won't print off the desktops printer either so I have a convoluted mess to contend with. I'm not a newbie but just barely an intermediate and I certainly don't understand the workings of othe wireless cxonfigurations. I have a book that supposedly will lead me down the right path but I have to have a decent brain to use it and things haven't been normal around here for about three days now.l I'll sure thank you if and when yu can help. For now I'll have to just keep you in my inbox. I hope you understand. thanks,

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
What is the "alpha leader"?

How about posting this for each of the computers.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands, one at a time, followed by the Enter key:

Note that there is a space before the -n or the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the - or / in the following commands.

NBTSTAT -n

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

TerryNet

Terry
That information John asked for will probably go a long way towards our understanding of the problem. Before starting to gather it, double check to make sure that your modem is connected to the router's WAN (or Internet or Modem) port, and not to one of the numbered LAN ports.

gladtoknow

Thanks John, I can't print your mail out yet so will have to keep it in my inbox. I understand the instructions up to the cut and paste part. I haven/t had too good a luck with that of llate. I'll certainly try it later today. I have two appts. back to back first and you know Dr.s offices. UGH !

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
When you key Enter in a command prompt Window, it Copies the selected text to the clipboard. You can then Paste that text into a message here in the standard Windows fashion.

gladtoknow

John Will, Glad to kniw is about to start on the desktop computer to try and get my internet service back up. When I said Alpha leader, I was referring to the desktop computer that is running Vista Home Premium at 64 bit. It has the all in one connected to it and I want the other two to be able to use it. I don't understand why this laptop will connect but not the desktop and yet this laptop doesn't work unless the desktop is on. I am thoroughly confused. I haven't even addresses the third machine.

gladtoknow

John Wills, I cannot past the outcome from the other computer so I Mic. corp,all rights reserved.
C:\Users\ferggie>NBTSTAT -n
NetBT is not bound to any devices
C\Users\ferggie> IPCONFIG /ALL " I sure hopr this means something to you. I've left it up on the desktop incase you need something else. TIA Carole

gladtoknow

John Mills,
Sorry, I didn't know there would be more on the instruc tions you g
ave me on opening a cmd procedure. I left off at the IPConfig /ALL I believe. When I finally decided to hit enter, I got the following data. "Windows IP Cibfiguration Host name ferrgie -PC
Primary DNS suffix (noothing else on this line)
Node type Hybrid
IP Routing enabled no
Wins Proxy enabled no
Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection and what looks like a small x with a horizontal line thru it and the number 11
Media State- Media disconnected
Connection specific DNS suffix
Description Teredo Tunneling pseudo Interface
Physical address 02-00-54-55-4E-01
DHCP enabled no
Auto configuration enabled yes"
There is nothing else John

TerryNet

Terry
It might be easier if you just posted the output as John specified, but from what you typed it appears that you have no networking hardware.

Next step is to look in Device Manager and tell us what is listed under Network Adapters. Also please tell us of any warnings, errors, "unknown" or "other" devices.

gladtoknow

I have two of the computers in network but the one I really want is the desktop that the printer is hooked to. The two are running vista 32 bit and can connect to the internet. I am using a Netgear router with a router bridge from my ISP and there doesn't seem to be any connection to the desktop that's running vista 64 bit other than the ethernet cable. It is attached to the Netgear router and also to the router bridge.

TerryNet

Terry
What is a "router bridge"?

If you would respond to John's post #4 we could perhaps make some progress on your problem.

gladtoknow

here it is, I hope
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
C:\Users\ferggie>NBTSTAT -n
Local Area Connection:
Node IpAddress: [0.0.0.0] Scope Id: []
No names in cache
Wireless Network Connection:
Node IpAddress: [192.168.1.2] Scope Id: []
NetBIOS Local Name Table
Name Type Status
---------------------------------------------
TOSHIBALAPTOP <00> UNIQUE Registered
ALL FOR ONE <00> GROUP Registered
ALL FOR ONE <1E> GROUP Registered
TOSHIBALAPTOP <20> UNIQUE Registered
ALL FOR ONE <1D> UNIQUE Registered
..__MSBROWSE__.<01> GROUP Registered
C:\Users\ferggie>IPCONFIG /ALL
Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : toshibalaptop
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Con
nection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1F-3C-7A-3C-27
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::94e6:b9bf:1e2a:4bcd%11(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, February 09, 2009 9:09:21 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, February 10, 2009 9:09:20 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8102E Family PCI-E Fast Ethern
et NIC (NDIS 6.0)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1E-33-46-E2-8D
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{8BF997EB-6F7A-451D-9D31-8EA6F0A85
A3E}
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 6TO4 Adapter
Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{45E79FEF-8C38-4FF1-8B11-CF5D54B8D
0B5}
Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 12:
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e50:2ccc:338d:3f57:fefd(Pref
erred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::2ccc:338d:3f57:fefd%14(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled
C:\Users\ferggie>

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online