1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wrong alphabetical order for Non-English characters

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jingkrub, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jingkrub

jingkrub Thread Starter

Hello everybody,

I found that my XP (English version) is not able to put non-English characters in correct order, so that my Thai dictionary doesn't work properly.

Here are some details.

In Thai language, some vowels are on the left side of consonant, but when ordering those words with vowels on the left side, we don't consider the vowel is the first character, but XP does. I need to introduce 3 Thai characters in order to illustrate this problem more clearly.

ก is the first consonant in Thai language, ข is the second, ไ is a vowel which is on the left side of consonant, such as ไก and ไข. Now we put these 2 consonants and 2 words in proper order, it's supposed to be 1.ก 2.ไก 3.ข 4.ไข, but what XP does is 1.ไก 2.ไข 3.ก 4.ข

Is the any solution for this? Thanks in advance.

P.S. In the shop where I bought that dictionary, it works pretty well, but I didn't notice what system is was.

2. Athan

Athan

Hi jingkrub,

Welcome to TSG

Could you navigate to Start > Control Panel > Regional and Language Options > Languages Tab > under the Supplemental Language Support could you check if The option to " Install files for complex script and right to left Languages ( including Thai )" and " Install Files for East asian Languages " is checked or not !

If not then please check them and hit Apply....You will need your Windows XP CD !

all the best

~a

3. jingkrub

jingkrub Thread Starter

Thanks for your Reply Athan, the 2 options you mentioned above are all checked.

I do think there is some option or update for solving this problem, because the computer in shop doesn't have this problem.

4. Athan

Athan

I would have thought the supplemental files would've been the cause !!
    But im not aware of what option or update you are referring to :(

~a

5. jingkrub

jingkrub Thread Starter

Fortunately, I figured out the cause. It is simply because of the "Standards and formats" on the "Regional Options" tab, my defalut setting was "English", after I changed it to "Thai", the dictionary goes well then. I also tried to changed it to "Chinese(PRC)", then my Chinese filenames became perfectly ordered according to Chinese Pinyin system!

Thank you anyway for providing this important clue, cheers!

6. Athan

Athan

glad you figured that out !!

Cheers

~a

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643175

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice