1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wrong Command.

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Midnyt, Sep 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Midnyt

Midnyt Guest Thread Starter

On my old computer, I have a problem which, when I start up, I end up in the ' Microsoft Windows 98 Startup Menu' .I've got no idea how it got there, but that's as far as I can get.
    It now goes to the 'Command prompt only' section, which tells me ' Warning: Windows has detected a registry/configuration error. Choose, Command prompt only and run SCANREG. '
    I've got three messages telling me that the folowing files are missing or corrupted,, C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
    C:\WINDOWS\DBLBUFF.SYS
    C:\WINDOWS\IFSHLP.SYS

My problem is,, entering, and trying to run SCANREG doesn't work. I've entered C:\WINDOWS\SCANREG.exe ,(and I've also replaced the 'exe' with 'sys', and 'com' but nothing works.
    I'm told to , ' Type the name of the Command Interpreter (e.g., C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM), yet when I enter SCANREG, instead of COMMAND, nothing happens. I've tried to run the Windows 98 SE disc, hoping to solve the problem, but, the CD Rom won't run, untill I get the SCANREG sorted out.

Naturally any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann

3. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann

4. mobo

mobo

try scanreg /fix(note the space before the /)

5. Midnyt

Thanks,but that didn't work.
    There's 'C>' and I've just entered, 'scanreg /fix' , and I've also entered 'C:\scanreg /fix ', so it's been 'C>C:\scanreg /fix' but nothing happened.
    Anyway thanks for the suggestion. I've even tried entering 'dir' which normally works,, even if it's just to get a response,, but ,, not a thing. Once I get it running again, I can run the Win98SE Rom, and get the computer running all back together again. Till then,, it's a case of keep trying.

6. mobo

mobo

Try scanreg /restore

7. Midnyt

Kerri Ann,,,,,,Thanks for the links to the website,, but so far, haven't had much luck,, but will hang around there till something comes up.
    No matter what I enter,,it still comes back to 'C>' with the ' _' flashing like crazy.

8. Midnyt

Motherboard,,,,,did that, and tried other ways,, but no luck. I tried
    C:\msconfig, C:\restore, C>msconfig, C>restore, but not a thing. I reckon the thing will have to go in the shop. :(

9. mobo

mobo

try rebooting and immediately press and hold the ctrl key or start tapping the f8 key to try to get to the safe mode option page. If you can get there then select safe mode. You can then try start/run and type sfc to bring up system file checker. select missing or corrupt files.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164403

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice