Wrong Disk Space reported (NTFS)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

brettuk

Hey,

I have 2 HDD's in my computer, both partitioned up.

In the 2nd HDD the first partition is 30gb, however windows reports it as total size 5GB, free space 4.75GB, I know that is wrong cause more than 5GB of data is on the drive!

Disk defragementer shows it as:
Capacity: 5GB
Free Space: 5.22GB
% Free Space: 104%

:confused: Disk Management still shows the partition as 30gb, but how can I fix how windows sees it? (I'm worried that defragger might lose data as there is limited free space on it, and as its reporting space as 104%, it wont flag up a low space warning (15% and lower).

Thanks,
Brett

Is the 2nd HDD a brand new drive you bought? If so, then you might want to return it, because it could either be:

A: A faulty drive
B: The HDD manufacturer accidentally put a 5 gig drive in the box

Either that, or you might have partitioned that space to 5 gigs or something, and it's not reading the unpartitioned space.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online