1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wrong Hard Drive Size

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ggireland, Feb 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ggireland

ggireland Thread Starter

I recently purchased a 180GB IBM Deskstar hard drive and had it installed by a friend. He said that he was having problems with it and that he couldn't get the computer to recognize the entire 180GB. I know that there is a certain degree of "wastage" when a drive is installed but mine is only showing to be 137.44GB. Does anyone know how to have the rest of the drive space recognised by my computer?

Incidentally, my motherboard is a Gigabyte 7DXR.

2. SexyTech

SexyTech

Is the Hard Drive jumpered correctly?

Not sure about the IBM, but with Western Digital, if it's a single drive only, then no jumpers are needed...that's the way my Western Dig 120 GB drive worked...my old 40 GB was the same way.

If this is a single drive and nothing else is on the cable, try it without a jumper.

Good Luck!

ST

3. slipe

slipe

There is a BIOS flash that takes it over 137Gb: http://www.giga-byte.com/support/support.htm

Be careful and read the instructions carefully. It isn’t as dicey as other MBs because of your dual bios, but you don’t want to screw one up if you can avoid it.

Avoid the beta version - you don't need it and a bios flash isn't the time to be fooling with betas.

4. ggireland

ggireland Thread Starter

Thanks slipe.

I downloaded the BIOS flash but I really have no experience of fiddling with this kind of stuff. Is it fairly straightforward or should I leave it alone. Can you advise me please?

5. Phreak5758

Phreak5758

The site you got the Flash from should have a step by step guide on how to do it.. If not there are mutiple sites that have step by steps for whatever bios you have. Just be sure to do EXACTLY what it says :)

6. ggireland

ggireland Thread Starter

I managed to get the BIOS flashed but unfortunately the problem is still there - only 137.44GB is being recognised. Any ideas?

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I looked at the mb mgf’s site there are 4 bios files that are available for download depending on if you have the + version or not. Make sure you have the correct file.
    Some drives have a jumper to limit the size of the drive so it is below the size the mb can see.
    Does the correct bios show up on boot up and does the bios show the correct drive size when booting up? Was any drive overlay software installed?
    If you are sure you have the correct bios and the drive is not jumpered to limit the size; you can install a controller card. I have had good luck with the promise ultra series.

8. Rockn

Rockn

Per their FAQ:

Why doesn't my system BIOS recognize the correct capacity of my drive?

Most older system BIOS's have a drive capacity limitation. Such limitations may include 528MB, 2.1GB, 4.2GB, 8.4GB, 32GB, and 137GB. The proper solution for a BIOS limitation is to contact your system manufacturer for a BIOS flash to upgrade your BIOS to the latest version. If a BIOS upgrade is not available, you can download the Disk Manager 2000 installation program that will enable you to use the full capacity of your drive. The installation utilities are available for downloading at the following location: /hdd/support/download.htm.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119782

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice