1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wrong Laptop Processor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by engti, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. engti

engti Thread Starter

Hi,

Not too sure if this is the right place to post it. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

But here's my situation:

My company gave me a laptop, it was supposed to have a Turion TL-60.

But instead they gave me one with an Athlon TK-55

After a week of complaining they sent a replacement. Guess what? They sent the same processor that I already have.

Now it seems its gonna take another indeterminate period of time to replace it.

Can anybody tell me what the difference between the two might be? I'd like to have something so I can better argue my case with them.

Thanks in advance.

Engti

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

All I can give you is an educated guess. Generally, Athlon processors are considered desktop processors. Turion is generally used in laptops. Athlons are more powerful but consume more power. Turions are generally less powerful processors used in laptops because they give longer runs on a battery charge.

All other things being equal, if I were getting a laptop, the deciding factor between Athlon and Turion would be how much I would be using the laptop when away from wall current. If you carry your laptop from desk to desk and seldom have a need for periods depending on battery only, I would go for the Athlon. If you are using it a lot when away from wall current, I would suggest the Turion as it would probably give you a longer run between charges.

3. engti

engti Thread Starter

Thanks a lot Alex. I mostly use it plugged in. It's more for the convenience of using the same machine at home and at work.

I've been digging around and this is what I found.

TK-55
    31W
    65nm
    1.7 Ghz
    512 kb Cache

TL-60
    35W
    90nm
    1mb Cache

I was wondering how far apart would they be performance wise. Looking at the figures above I am just a lil confused.

Thanks.

4. engti

engti Thread Starter

I missed this one the TL-60 runs at 1.8 Ghz

5. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

It's the difference between Athlon and Turion that would be more noticable than the tiny difference in Hz.

Bear in mind, though, that my knowledge of these specific processors is about nothing. All I wrote above is to Athlon and Turion as types.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643393

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice