1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wrong Network at access point

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jboyes, May 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jboyes

jboyes Thread Starter

I had an old G router that had an unsecured network. It died and I replaced it with an N router and installed a secured network. I have a cable modem with wires that goes to the router. From the router, I have CAT 4 wires going to several access points around the house. Into one of these acess points, I have pluged in a wireless access point that broadcasts wirelessly---unfortunately, it is broadcasting the old unsecured network. How can I make the wireless access point broadcast the new secured N network?

2. centauricw

centauricw

Wireless access points are exactly like wireless broadband routers without the router part. You still need to configure them.

3. jboyes

jboyes Thread Starter

How do I configure the wireless access points to broadcast the secured N network?

Thanks

4. mucker2010

mucker2010

You can't...Not unless it can broadbast on that N network range.

Let's say you have 4 WAPs (wireless access point) around your house when you set it up the first time.
    EVERY one of these would have to hav been configured. All of them would have the settings put in like SSID and your security keys etc. Each one has to be configured the same but they all most likely only supported speeds up to G. Now you have replaced one of them with the N speeds. Not only this but it probably configured with a different SSID and security keys. Your other WAPs will be broadcasting on the old SSIDs etc. You need to connect to these and change their settings so that they are they same as your N router.

5. jboyes

jboyes Thread Starter

I have one WAP (Linksys) that is an N WAP.

6. jboyes

jboyes Thread Starter

I am trying to configure my N WAP and it asks for ipV6 address. Where can I find this?

7. mucker2010

mucker2010

that is prob optional....u dont need to configure an IPv6 address. for a start it isn't in XP....

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/999368

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice