1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wrong Processor Speed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by VoragoMaster, May 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. VoragoMaster

VoragoMaster Thread Starter

Hey I'd really appreciate anyone's help in this matter:

When I right-click on My PC and select "properties" the following is displayed:

"Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 CPU
    6420 @2.13 Ghz
    1.60 GHz, 1.00 GB Ram"

As you can see, the processor is an Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 that is supposed to have a frequency of 2.13 GHz. I got my new computer a week ago and yesterday i ran CPU-Z and it detected that the Core Speed was 1.6 GHz!!! This matches the above mention system properties...

So my question is.... Why is this happening? What's the problem? and Are ther any solutions?

Here's my complete equipment description:

Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Motherboard
    iNTEL Core 2 Duo E6420 processor (2.13 Ghz, FSB 1066 MHz, 4Mb Cache)
    1 GB Kingston DDR2/667 Mhz
    MSI NXI 6200tc with NVIDIA Geforce 6200 TurboCache)
    Soundblaster Audigy Platinum EX

I would really, REALLY appreciate anyone's help since this is a new computer and I want to make sure it's working alright.

Thanks in advance

2. lefty1953

lefty1953

Go to Control Panel open Power Options and if it is set to Energy Star Change it to Home/Office Desk and then reopen MyComputer Properties.

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

4. VoragoMaster

Thank you soooooooo much guys i reset the power configuration and got back my pc ...
    sincerely thank you
    you rock!!!!

5. VoragoMaster

ok so i did what you told me and i got the PC properties to show the same speed in both cases...

tried running cpu-z again and it still detects the core speed as 1.6 GHz and also the multiplier went down form x8 to x6...

any ideas on why this is?

Seriously, thanx a lot for all the help

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/574602

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice