1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wrong registry filters deleted - Mouse and Keyboard won't work!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by chris1986, Jul 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chris1986

chris1986 Thread Starter

I made a stupid mistake and now I'm eating it.

My computer wasn't recognizing my CD-RW drive, so I opened up 'regedit' to delete the upper and lower filters from the drive. Well, I deleted the wrong filters. The next time Windows loaded up, it failed to recognize the mouse and the keyboard (!!!). So I basically have a paralyzed computer - I can't do anything with it. I know that reinstalling Windows would solve the problem, but I'm looking for a way to take care of this without losing all of my files. I know it's possible - I've been on the phone with a few different tech places. They all tell me it's too complicated to do over the phone, bring it in and they'll have it taken care of. They're running a business so I know why they're really telling me that.

Plain and simple, I would love to take it somewhere and have somebody else do it, but I don't have anything to pay them with. So I've got to figure out a way to break my computer out its mouse\keyboard coma.

Any help would appreciated.

2. Dandruff

Dandruff

All i can think of is System Restore, but you have no keyboard, etc. Also, ss it the same in Safe Mode, it probably wont be any different but worth a try.

3. chris1986

chris1986 Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply.

The mouse and keyboard do work BEFORE windows is loaded. It seems to be a problem within windows. I can run, for example, the Windows XP Recovery Mode and can type when the prompt comes up.

However, even with regular safe mode the mouse and keyboard are not working. It seems to be a problem with windows recognizing the devices as even being installed. It's like if a brain weren't aware that its body had arms and legs. It's there, it just can't seem to communicate with them.

Is there something I can do in the Windows System Restore, when it seems to drop off into a prompt screen (reminds me of DOS)...

If these might be helpful, here were some of the other options that were listed in the menu that pops up when you press F8 to get into safe mode. Don't know what they do, though.

enable boot logging
    enable vga mode
    last known good configuration (your most recent settings that worked)
    directory services restore mode (windows domain controllers only)
    debugging mode
    disable automatic restart on system failure

anyway, I'm still pluggin away at ideas. I appreciate your reply.

4. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

I'd give "last known good configuration (your most recent settings that worked)" a shot.

5. Dandruff

Dandruff

So you can get Command Prompt working?

6. jnibori

jnibori

Maybe a Repair Re-Install?

(You should have use of your keyboard, etc... as you'll be running off the CD)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/732552