1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wrong reply address on outgoing mail in Outlook 98

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by alantex, Oct 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alantex

alantex Thread Starter

Recently my Outlook 98 email program started doing something peculiar. I use 4 different email accounts and I reply to each of them. When I press the Send button, instead of using the email address that the original message was addressed to as the originating address of the Reply, Outlook is picking a different account from my list of accounts as the originating address. I can go to Send on the File menu and choose the correct originating address, but for some reason, the program is defaulting to a different address. I tried removing the address it was choosing and it started choosing my default email account. I re-established the removed account and the program is still choosing the default account it picked when the removed one was gone. I tried making some other accounts the default and it seems to be choosing the default as the originating address for replies regardless of which address the original message I am replying to was addressed to. I hope that some kind and knowledgable person can tell me what's screwed up here and how to fix it.

BTW, my machine is a Dell Pentium III, with 512 mb memory running Windows 98SE updated with patches.

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Doh!
    Sounds frustrating.
    Try this, but you'd better have install disks if necessary.

Start-Run and type regedit and hit enter.

Browse to this folder:

hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\office\8.0\outlook

(it COULD be hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\office\outlook or even hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\outlook, I haven't seen 98 in a while)

Right-click the Outlook folder and rename it to OldOutlook.

Close the registry editor and re-launch Outlook.

3. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

Go to TOOLS\ACCOUNTS

Click on the particular account and hit properties

In the GENERAL tab be sure you have the address you want in the REPLY ADDRESS window.

- Castleheart :cool:

oops! Prior to punching the old SUBMIT button I see that you said OUTLOOK and not OE. That'll teach me to read every other line. I don't use OUTLOOK (and Dreamboat will scold me for that!) but perhaps it is the same set-up. Go see. Only takes a minute!
    Besides.... I'd be interested to know if it is the same.

4. alantex

alantex Thread Starter

Dreamboat,
    I would like to hear a little more about what I should expect if I follow your advice to rename Outlook as OldOutlook and relaunch the program. Will all my email, contacts, etc still be there?

5. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    CH's response is actually more correct. But I am assuming you did nothing to change those settings, so they really shouldn't BE changed, so perhaps Outlook's registry is hosed.

You should expect Outlook to re-register itself with Windows. Yes, everything should still be there. However, I cannot guarantee that as I'm not as familiar with 98. Earlier today, someone with 2000 came back very quickly and said it worked like a charm, so I assume you will not have any problems either. I just can't guarantee it...

Then, if it doesn't help at all, you can just as easily go back in, delete the new Outlook folder and rename the OldOutlook back to Outlook, and all should be as it was before you started with any of my instructions.

6. alantex

alantex Thread Starter

Thanks, Dreamboat,
    But I need to be clear about something, CastleHeart assumes that I'm talking about how someone responds to my email message and therefore I have to be sure that the email reply form for that account is properly filled in. My problem actaully concerns my reply to an email to that account. In other words, someone sends me a message to [email protected]. I hit reply, compose a response and hit send. Instead of sending my reply back out using the [email protected] account, Outlook sends it back out using [email protected] account. I can change the sending account using the Send submenu under File, but Outlook is defaulting to an account other than the one the original email was addressed to. I hope that I'm making this clear.

7. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Right. I understood. And my answer remains. :)

8. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

:confused:
    The REPLY ADDRESS listed under each account should be the address that you want OE to use in the FROM field on any replies you send to Email that was originally sent to that account.

Say your normal default account is SMART
    - If DUMB receives mail and you reply - it should automatically put FROM : DUMB - IF - you have that listed in accounts as the REPLY address.

- C ;)

I would still be interested in knowing if it works the same in OUTLOOK.

9. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Exactly the same. But it is NOT working that way for alantex.

10. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

This may not apply......but, are you moving your emails into another folder per chance? Or do you keep them in the same folder as to which they were received in.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169088

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice