1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wrongly designated 'removable drives'

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Joephilippa, Jan 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Joephilippa

Joephilippa Thread Starter

In 'THIS PC', I have three entries - one for the system HDD with x32Win10proV1909; the other two (an 80Gb 'spinning disk' HDD and a 120Gb SSD HDD) have 'open autoplay' in their context menu. That entry is not relevant to those two entries, and I would like to be rid of it WITHOUT affecting the autoplay settings for removable drives. Context Menu programs like WinAero tweaker; CCleaner, Glary Utilities and ShellExView do not list 'open autoplay' in their options; nor do any registry keys. Maybe the fault lies with the system identifying the 80Gb and the 120Gb as REMOVABLE drives - possibly a default designation for HDDs without an O/S ? Is there any tweaking option ?

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

what is shown in disk management please on the lower window pane as against in This PC
    This PC shows drives as letters and therefore we do not know which is a drive and which is merely a partition on a drive
    Disk Management
    right click the Microsoft flag, left of taskbar
    click disk management if there
    or right click this computer then click manage
    then on left pane click disk mangement

The problem you have can occur when the motherboard site or the manufacturers site has no windows 10 drivers for the ports to which the drives are connected and it is using the windows generic driver
    This leads to the drive being shown as external

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
  3. Joephilippa

No problem seeing Disk Management. What to look for or to do in there ?
    I understand your explanation. The motherboard has 10 SATA sockets, and I have gradually learned that there are differences between them; I have a very poor understanding of those, but have tried to match their capacity/features to the device attached to them. There MAY BE some flexibility left in socket allocation.

It would take me some time to feret out the specifics , but I do recall that not all 10 sockets have satisfactory drivers. When I find the documentation, I will edit this response.

Edit #1 : The drives concerned are SLAVE drives, as distinct from REMOVABLE drives.

4. Macboatmaster

send me a screenshot of disk management please
    attach it to your reply using the upload a file button on the reply panel
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/13776/windows-10-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots

I now have realised that the drives with the context menu autoplay are not removable drives
    I know usb connected drives and dvd/cd etc have autoplay

and of course non removable should not - at least by default
    I misread your post possibly because your tile of the topic is
    Wrongly designated 'removable drives'

however it was my error

Still please send the screensnip, so I can see exactly what is shown for these drives in disk management

Also please send as here which was on the top of the window when you clicked post new thread

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
  5. Macboatmaster

Further to the above I am signing off for tonight I am in UK it is 0138
    Until I return check BIOS - firmware settings
    for HOT PLUG enabled on those drives
    Could be that

Unlikely of course unless someone has been tweaking BIOS/UEFI settings

6. Joephilippa

I have set AHCI on all the socket that I could - because that is the way I want it.

Attached Files:

7. Macboatmaster

I do not refer to AHCI
    I refer to hotplug
    Also it is confusing to me as to how you have ended up with these disk numbers in disk management
    Disk management as you can see in the lower window numbers drives
    letters are a windows matter
    The numbers are usually o for the system disk and then 1 2 etc
    that is quite different to disk number 0 having for instance partitions lettered c and D for example.

The reason could be this
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb...t-correspond-to-the-sata-channel-numbers-when

or simply the ports to which you have them connected
    It is not worth changing ports for that aspect providing all works OK

Please send as asked in post 4, so that I may further advise on the issue.

8. Joephilippa

I did send you what you asked for in post 4 - in fact you comment on the content of that image !

As for as I knew, enabling AHCI enables hotplugging.

Allocating devices to SATA ports is a bit of a juggling act - especially as its by trial and error because of the complexities of the 'theory'; all works satisfactorily NOW.

That got sent before I had the chance to add what I know about the SATA ports. I will do that when I get the chance to ferret it out.

9. Macboatmaster

Sorry for not making it clearer - I meant the request that you did NOT send

10. Joephilippa

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 32 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20191206014755.000000+660
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU X 990 @ 3.47GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 44 Stepping 2, CPU Count: 12
    Total Physical RAM: 4 GB
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 710, 1024 MB
    Hard Drives: C: 111 GB (36 GB Free); T: 111 GB (111 GB Free); X: 74 GB (22 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. X58A-UD5, ver x.x
    System: Award Software International, Inc., ver GBT - 42302e31
    Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

11. Joephilippa

Although the HDDs of concern are NOT connected to the SATA ports about which the following applies, I mention it because you referred to missing drivers.
    Marvel chip 9128 had missing drivers in Nov 2018 - that has probably not improved since.

12. Macboatmaster

Other than my previous mention - I have no idea

I appreciate that AHCI enables hotplugging
    From your board manual
    what I was asking was - in the BIOS is there a separate setting on the GUI of the BIOS showing an ability to disable hotplug, as there are on some BIOS`es

Also you may try
    Open Device Manager, open Storage controllers, then just right click "Marvell 91xx...", choose properties, then go to the policies tab, and uncheck the box "Enable safely remove disk."
    which on your system is I think
    Marvell 9128 chip:
    2 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors (GSATA3_6, GSATA3_7) supporting up to 2 SATA 6Gb/s devices
    and
    GIGABYTE SATA2 chip:
    2 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors (GSATA2_8, GSATA2_9) supporting up to 2 SATA 3Gb/s devices

13. Joephilippa

I have a very complex BIOS, which I have 'often' looked at - specifically to enable hotplugging. Had there been any mention of hotplugging, I would have zero'ed in on that, but don't remember ever seeing it.

Looking for 'ability to enable hotplug' is a needle-in-a-haystack type of task.

I repeat that the drives which concern me (that have 'Open autoplay' in their Context menu), are NOT the ones connected to sockets 6, 7 8 & 9.

As my attachment shows, Device Manager does not mention Marvel - but I have seen 'marvel' in place(s) that I can not now remember.

Attached Files:

14. Macboatmaster

I am not, unappreciative of your desire to solve this, but I would ask you to remember that it is me spending my time trying to help you

Please tell me, where it previously said the drives were not connected to 6,7,8 or 9 as all I can see is that you said they were not connected to the ports controlled by the Marvell chip
    your post 11 refers.

If I am incorrect please accept my apologies.

The BIOS setup procedures did not look complicated to me - from the images and guidance in your motherboard manual.

SATA ports on your computer
    SATA2_0/1/2/3/4/5 (SATA 3Gb/s Connectors, Controlled by ICH10R)
    Intel chip

GSATA3_6/7 (SATA 6Gb/s Connectors, Controlled by Marvell 9128)
    Marvell chip

GSATA2_8/9 (SATA 3Gb/s Connectors, Controlled by GIGABYTE SATA2)
    Gigabyte chip

Please note the problem may be caused by the Microsoft driver (as shown on your last post), as against the Intel, Marvell or Gigabyte - whichever is the case

As indeed I said in my first reply

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  15. Joephilippa

Let me assure you I appreciate the gratis effort you are putting into this.

'they were not connected to the ports controlled by the Marvell chip' is what I referenced.

'external ports' First time I have heard that description.

'The BIOS setup procedures did not look complicated to me.' On the other hand to me, a lesser informed person, it did look intimidating. If there had been any mention of 'hotplugging' in my previous searches, I would have SEIZED on it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1239548

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice