1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wrongly seated HSF?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by halluc1nati0n, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. halluc1nati0n

halluc1nati0n Thread Starter

I had mounted this original intel HSF on my E6300(conroe) after applying Arctic MX-2 on it, but was still seeing insane temps.

One of the mounts (of the HSF) was not properly mounted when I checked..
    Here's the pic of the HSF seen after removing it from the motherboard..

[​IMG]

This shows it was wrong?
    This was the reason for the high temps?

2. BG-0

BG-0

That looks absolutely horrible. Before putting it back in, use alcohol to clean the old thermal paste from it and the CPU's heat spreader(if present), then apply a semi-transparent layer(= put a tiny drop on it and spread with an old credit card or such) of thermal paste on the CPU's heat spreader or such, and seat the HSF properly.

3. halluc1nati0n

4. BG-0

BG-0

Umm. Could you put the problems you're having in your own words.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I would recommend you pull the board to install the hsf. While it can be done in the case, with the board out of the case you can check the back of the board to make sure all four push pins are fully engaged.

Clean all parts with either 91% OR 99% alcohol. Do not use the 70% stuff you find in the supermarket. It contains lanolin and will leave a residue. Once complete, apply a small amount [about the size of a BB] of arctic silver to the center of the cpu. Install hsf. Reinstall mb and pw ON to test.

FWIW I have done a few builds with that cpu and it normally runs in the low to mid 30s when the hsf is installed correctly.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW you are lucky it even posted. I would think the only reason it did was that is a very low powered cpu. If it had been a quad core, or something like an 8500, it would have shutdown a few seconds after pw ON. The hsf must contact the cpu with approx 15lbs of force or it will not work correctly.

7. BG-0

BG-0

Deer eyes *:eek:* Wroooom... BAM! Hit by crj-truck again.
    Maybe I should just quit posting, feels like I'm nothing but a nuisance while trying to advise...

8. halluc1nati0n

lol.. Don't worry, your reply was the first one which helped me! (y)

and btw, crjdriver also gave me an insightful idea of what this is about...

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757478

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice