1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wrrrrrrrrrrrr !!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bob JR, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bob JR

Bob JR Thread Starter

On my two year old Dell PC. Sometimes when I start it up - the hard drive goes Wrrrrr. I hit and hold the power button to shut it down, and then it usually starts up fine. It's getting worse and I'm backing up my files and thinking about a second Hard drive to keep things at bay.

But, no Win XP Multi-Media discs other than the restore disk. No extended warrantee.

Anything else other than the HD to cause this? Defrag - check, spyware - check, AV-check, hardware troubleshooter- fine.

Any recommendations on a backup HD internal? USB internal? I'm thinking and internal to replace the existing 160BG HD and then a USB eternal at another time for security.

Thanks for your help ..

Bob

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

There are lots of free cloning programs available. Your best bet is to clone it. Are you SURE it's the hard drive? What model of Dell is it?

Right now for a backup, start putting your important stuff on CD's. Get them OUT of the computer. A backup inside the case isn't really a backup.

I have a Compaq at home that has a throttled fan on it--sometimes when you start it up that fan sounds like a turbine engine!

3. xtreampb

xtreampb

are your fans clear

4. Bob JR

Bob JR Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. I'll pull the cover tonight and give her a cleaning.

I do this every six months or so. Last time just before Thanksgiving.

I'll be back.

Bob

5. telegramsam

telegramsam

Every other month is the minimum. Once a month is better for cleaning. It takes five minutes, and it can save you a ton of money!

Concentrate on the heat sink, blow canned air between the fins. If that gets plugged, the fan will throttle way up to compensate for the temperature increase that results from the dirt actually holding the heat down on the processor rather than allowing it to be displaced.

6. Bob JR

Bob JR Thread Starter

A little follow up on wrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I cracked open the case on my Dell Dimension 8400 MCE and found some of my carpet in the fan outlets (yeah I keep it on the floor & on a 2x10 board). I vacuumed and used a can of air the clean it out. I'm guessing that the dust build up on my cooling fans could be the noise I heard.

But just to be sure I just ordered a 250GB Western Digital "My Book" USB HD from Dell. I also ordered another 512K of memory. That part was a pain. They recommend adding memory in matched pairs and I didn't want to spring for two 512's of the only module which matched my service code.

A quick call to dell and they set me up with the right pair of 256's.

So, now Bob will have a full 350 or so GB of movie & music space. ;-)

To bad, I wanted to spend the money on an OPPO 970HD universal DVD player. Oh, well maybe later.

Thanks for your help.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542075

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice