WRT54G Router connection

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Casey Router

I spent many many minutes configuring and reconfiguring this router with Linksys tech support. At the end I had s strong signal, but could not connect to any internet web sites. I tried many. The Linksys tech person advised that some lap tops come with "built in" adaptors and I had to modify this adaptor in the lap top, but ended the tech support assistance.

When I click on the netscape icon that connects me to the internet when wired to the modem I get an error message that it did not recognize the the web site "please check the name and address".
I am so close but still cannot connect.
I would appreciate any help.

Dell Inspirion Lap Top
Windows XP
Router Linksys WRT 54 G

DoubleHelix

Banned
Did you power cycle the modem after connecting it to the router?

What type of broadband connection do you have? DSL? Cable? What is the make and model of the modem?

Casey Router

Thanks: I may have done the power cycle when I was following the tech support instructions. Sorry about this question but what exactly is the power cycle? I shut off all power then reconected the power to the modem, then the router.

DoubleHelix

Banned
You unplug the power connector from the modem, wait 30 seconds, then plug it back in.

TerryNet

Terry
From your posts I do not understand whether you are unable to communicate with the router or if the router is not connecting to your ISP. You have power cycled the modem, but we still need answers to DoubleHelix's other post #2 questions.

I assume that you are using your Dell Inspirion Lap Top, that it accesses the internet fine when connected directly to the modem, but fails on the router connection. If my assumption is wrong, please correct me.

With modem -> router's WAN port -> computer via ethernet please try the following and report your results.

To open a Command Window: Start - Run – cmd (command in 98SE) - OK

To determine a computer's IP address and router's IP address: open a Command Window and type
ipconfig /all

The "Gateway" is the router's IP address.

Now for some troubleshooting. Following is how to use ping to test for communication with your router, the internet, and the internet with symbolic name.

1. On the PC open a Command window and type
ping IProuter (where IProuter is the IP address of the router)

Do you get Replies, or do you get packets lost?

IF you got replies,
2. ping 66.94.234.13 (or any other internet address you know)

If you got replies,
3. ping www.yahoo.com (or any other internet name)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online