1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WRT54G Router dropping connection to cable modem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mbandrew, Jun 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mbandrew

mbandrew Thread Starter

I have a motorola surfboard cable modem from time warner connected to Linksys WRT54G router, with one wired connection to the PC and a wireless connection to a laptop.

The connection to the internet is dropped every couple of hours from both computers and requires me to unplug the cable modem and then the router and then plug them back in before it will work again.

When the connection does drop, I cannot even access the router setup (192.168.1.1) from the PC. Also, this problem did not seem to happen when I tried connecting the PC right to the cable modem without the use of the router. This is why I think it is the router.

I tried setting the router to clone MAC address, and setting the MTU to 1400, but I am still having the same problem. Does anyone have other suggestions about what else there is to do?

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

First things we normally recommend are:
    Download the latest firmware for your router.
    Reset your router to it's default config by holding in the reset button for at least 15 seconds.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If installing new firmware, then resetting to factory defaults and reconfiguring doesn't do it, it may be dying.

I'm assuming that you connected to the modem directly for long enough to assure yourself that it's indeed the router and not the modem or ISP?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/834760

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice