1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WRT54G's power and diagnostics lights keep flashing

Discussion in 'Networking' started by novice973, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. novice973

novice973 Thread Starter

Hi, I have a WRT54G (no version number, so I am assuming 1?). After a power outage, when the electricity came back on, the power and diagnostic LEDs on the router kept flashing and I can't get internet access. If I hook the cable modem directly to my PC, I get a connection and can get on the internet. Once I hook the modem to the router and the router to the PC. I am completely out...can't get on the internet at all, the cable modem's activity light is off, and the flashing lights in back of the ethernet cable are also off. Linksys tech support says our router is dead and it is beyond warranty. Is there anyway to fix this? If not, what router will you suggest (note: a new model must work with my
    WPC54G v2. Thanks.

2. JKingsnorth

JKingsnorth

1st question, were these on any type of surge protector?

If you do buy another router get a Linksys WRT54G. Even though its the same thing its still a good router.

3. novice973

novice973 Thread Starter

I don't know if there was a power surge. My router, cable modem, and cordless phone are all on the same powersurge strip. The power went. So, we hook up our generator, ran a power cord from the room with power to the power strip, then turn everything on. Immediately, the router immediately started with the flashing power and diagnostic LED.

Since I am going to spend the bucks to buy a new router, should I go for the N series? I do have a problem getting a strong signal in a couple of rooms.

4. JKingsnorth

JKingsnorth

The generator probably fried it

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Unless it's a cheap generator, I can't imagine it cooking just the router. Since the router is connected with a power brick, that would be the most likely thing to fail with a power issue, the DC coming out of the brick is pretty well isolated.

Have you held the reset switch on this router for 15 seconds or more with power on to reset to factory defaults? That's the first thing I'd try.

6. novice973

novice973 Thread Starter

I tried resetting the router. Tried to download the firmware and reinstall. But, the moment I hook the PC to the router, it says the ethernet cable is disconnected.

7. JohnWill

Wait a minute! How did you try to install the firmware without the computer connected?

8. novice973

novice973 Thread Starter

I hook my pc to the cable modem, that works fine. It is when I hook PC to router and router is hooked to modem that I can't get to the internet.

9. JohnWill

Same question, how did you attempt to install firmware on the router without a connection to the router?

10. JKingsnorth

JKingsnorth

11. novice973

novice973 Thread Starter

Sorry, guess I didn't make myself clear enough. I downloaded the firmware and tftp.exe to my pc while it was connected directly to the cable modem, reset the router, then hook the router to the cable modem, and the pc to the router. That was as far as I can go to try to install the firmware.

Anyway, I gave up on the router...went out and bought a WRT54GS. However, if you think the problem with the old router is fixable, I definitley want to keep trying.

12. srhoades

srhoades

If you have an orignal release WRT54G that has lasted this long, then I would just junk it and get a new one. That is like, off the top of my head, 6-7 year old router?

13. JohnWill

I agree, with the current clarification, it seems the router has indeed went to the big router ranch in the sky. :)

14. novice973

novice973 Thread Starter

Yes, it has been 6 or 7 years. Never gave us a problem before. I put it in the WRT54GS's box...don't know how to dispose of it.

15. JohnWill

The round can next to your desk. :D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700813

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice