1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WRT54GS Speed Issue

Discussion in 'Networking' started by c0rrup, Dec 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. c0rrup

c0rrup Thread Starter

Hello everyone, I am using a linksys WRT54GS wireless router and usually works fine, but lately I noticed it's been getting slow speeds and then when I restart the router it goes back to normal and very fast for about 20-30 minutes (could vary and be longer sometimes). But then after that it goes back to it's slow speed until I restart it again.

When I bypass the router it works fine with direct connection, all my firmware is upgraded, getting 100% signal strength, it's not just my computer because when I ping from the router admin panel it gets all request timed out aswell.

Thanks for any help I can get.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you're using wireless connections, do you have WPA or WPA2 encryption with a strong key? If not, you may be acquiring some freeloaders on your wireless network.

If that's not the case, some things you can try here.

1. For wireless connections, change the channel on the router, I like channels 1, 6, and 11 in the US.
    2. For wireless connections, try moving either the wireless router/AP or the wireless computer. Even a couple of feet will sometimes make a big difference.
    3. Update the firmware to the latest version available on the manufacturer's site.
    4. Reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigure.
    5. Update the network drivers (wired and wireless) on your computer to the latest available.

Many times these measures will resolve a lot of intermittent issues.

3. c0rrup

c0rrup Thread Starter

Yes it has wpa2, newest firmware, I tried resetting router to factory defaults a few times to no avail, I'm not sure if this eliminates the channel connection issue but when I try to ping websites from my router when my computer is lagging, the rotuer is also getting bad responses. Then if I restart the router it goes back to the super high normal speed : S.

Thanks again.

4. JohnWill

If you can't ping sites directly with the router's tool, it's most likely an ISP or modem issue.

5. JohnWill

Register at DSLReports and run their Line Quality Tests. It's best to run this test with a direct wired connection to eliminate any wireless issues from the results. It's useful many times to run this test several times, and we'd like to see each of the results. Post the results link from the top of the test display page for each test run here.

The link to post is near the top of the page and looks like:

If you wish to post this result to a forum, please copy/paste this URL
    http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2357195 <- sample only, yours will obviously be different!
    and your IP will be disguised.

Copy/paste that link here.

Note: You will have to enable PING (ICMP) request response either in your router (if you have one), or in your computer's firewall for direct modem connections. This is very important to get the most important part of the test to run.

6. c0rrup

c0rrup Thread Starter

7. JohnWill

That looks like a screwed up ISP network to me!

8. c0rrup

c0rrup Thread Starter

Yeah, it's ATT and just temporary, and by temporary I mean another year, until I move and get back on optimum online.

Edit, should I call them and ask whats the problem and why is it messed up?

9. JohnWill

Just say it's slow to start, maybe they'll figure it out.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/783586

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice