1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WS08 R2 "preparing to configure windows" issue

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by deuce, Oct 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

Does anyone know how to solve this issue? WS08 R2 hangs on startup and displays:

"Preparing to configure windows"

"Do not turn off your computer"

This installation had been working fine since Jan of this year. Last night I installed Acronis' new backup platform "Backup and Repair". Ran a backup of a drive. Backup got to about 50% without any issues, then went to bed. In the morning, computer was in an endless loop of displaying this message when booting, and crashing after a few minutes.

I've tried using last known configuration, doesn't work. I've tried booting in safe mode, I get the same issue. I can load the repair utility, but I don't know what commands to use to try and repair.

Thanks!

2. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

BUMP

Anyone? I have a feeling it could be related to a windows update, since the computer had been in a restart loop when I woke up, and a required restart from a windows update could have put it there. Or Acronis put it there. Those are pretty much the two possible culprits.

Does anyone know the command line commands I need to use to do startup repair from the WS08R2 repair console? I've only done it for fixing the boot code before, and I didn't really find what I was looking for searching online...

3. centauricw

centauricw

Try running SFC /SCANNOW from the recovery console. Generally, these reboot loop issues are caused when a Stage 3 of 3 update is interrupted or hangs. This command will try to repair the system file links in the system32 folder from the WinSXS folder.

4. gfne

gfne

5. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

I just tried running SFC /SCANNOW from the repair console and I get:

"There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart Windows and run sfc again."

Not sure if I'm going to be able to get SFC to work. Any ideas?

6. gfne

gfne

Right click my computer, click manage, go to event viewer, expand system and inspect anything that you might think of noting here.

7. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

Thanks--not sure if it was clear, but the system is not bootable. I can't boot into the WS08 R2 installation normally OR in safe mode. The only thing I can do is boot to the recovery console.

8. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

From the repair console, how can I find a list of the installed updates and how I can uninstall them? (As a reminder, I can't boot into windows either normally or in safe mode. This is from a command prompt in the repair console.)

9. bobbydiaz

bobbydiaz

What about doing a chkdsk /r from repair mode. Not sure if Server 2008 replaced that or not.

10. gfne

gfne

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/956149