1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WTF Doesnt pass post? out of nowhere?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by daveyp225, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daveyp225

daveyp225 Thread Starter

Hey.. I have been having a couple problems with my computer. Just built by myself about 6 months ago. For the past week or so, I have been running out of resources very quickly, but have one gig of ram.. doesnt make sense..

So I go to reboot it about 15 mins ago and it wont pass the post screen, and wont let me into the bios to see if anythings wrong. So far I have reset the RAM and removed cmos battery for 5 mins. Nothing seems to be working. I was thinking maybe I had a virus because my sound driver mysteriously disappeared (That was why I was rebooting).

Any suggestions?

My setup is:
    abit ic7-max3
    2x512mb khz pc-4000
    p4c 2.8ghz
    6 case fans
    aiw r9800pro 256-bit
    120gb wd 7.2k

Also.. a little red light comes on when I start up the machine. That same light is green before I initiate start-up..

I'm boggled.. please help me!

Dave

2. WarC

WarC

What kind of powersupply do you have running this thing?

Is the power connected to the Radeon graphics card inside of the system? If you can, put it on its own line.

How far into start up process does it go? Can you see the BIOS screen on the monitor? Try reseating your graphics card if you can't.

Check your motherboard's manual to see if you can reset CMOS via jumper.

3. daveyp225

daveyp225 Thread Starter

I have been working with the guys over @ pcmech.com, and It seems to be as I feared: A defective mobo.

What happens is that It actually doesn't freeze.. it gets stuck for about 10-15 minutes at the post screen, and spits out one of 2 errors: "CMOS Checksum Error" or "CPU Unworkable". I have reseated everything I could have, tested different Ram modules, all resulting in the same thing. I have reset the cmos via the battery.

..From there I can load windows by choosing to continue.. but it takes another 10-15 minues. The start-up time it usually had was under a minute from pressing the button, and now it takes roughly 20-30 minutes. The shut-down time takes about 5-10 minutes, where it used to take probably about 20 seconds if I didnt have anything open.

The funny thing is that when windows is loaded it works like a charm, except my resources seem to be running out very fast. This was not the case a week ago.

If you have any more suggestions, lay it on me before I try an RMA. They dont have any more max3s in stock so I may have to wait for a refund and then buy another mobo. I may not have a computer for a week.

Thanks,
    Dave

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276480

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice