1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wubi

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by PhillipG2k7, Dec 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PhillipG2k7

PhillipG2k7 Thread Starter

I had to format and reinstall window, all went good until i restart and realize i forgot to uninstall wubi first and now when i restart it ask if i want to start up ubuntu or windows 7 how would i go about removing this option or atleast hiding it?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

3. saikee

saikee

Nobody recommend Win7's bcdedit.exe, bootrec.exe and bootsect.exe? I think Win7/Vista boot loader functions are reasonable and available from the installation DVD.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, bcdedit would do the job. I just find that most people are not too fond of command lines. And they really scare beginners.

5. lewmur

lewmur

The problem with all of these solutions is that they require Windows to be running in order to execute them. What is really needed is to boot a Win CD that will allow you to run "fixmbr". All the old XP CDs had this option but you can't always do it from a Vista or Win7 "rescue" type CD.

If you boot the Win7 CD and the "repair boot problem" option doesn't work, then the easiest thing to do is boot the Linux LiveCD, create a small partition and install Linux to that partition. That will create a new Grub menu.

If you no longer want Linux, you could then download EasyBCD and use it to fix the MBR to boot to the Win7 bootloader instead of Grub.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

There is no "fixmbr" command in Vista/7. Vista/7 partitions have a different structure from XP's where the fixmbr command resides. Even mounting a Win Vista/7 partition in XP will revert the version of NTFS to XP's older one and delete all shadow copies from the drive. Probably a good idea to keep backups when there are problems going on.

The OP can easily run one of the editors in Windows to fix it.

7. lewmur

lewmur

If he can't boot Windows, how can he "easily run one of the editors in Windows to fix it".

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    PhillipG2k7 has not yet indicated any inability to boot to Windows.

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

He simply has 2 menu entries.

10. lewmur

lewmur

Hmm! Wubi installs grub and when you reinstall Win7 it normally removes the c:\ubuntu directory. Grub's files are in that directory and you can't boot anything without it.

But you are right in that if he has the two options showing and not an immediate error message, then the re-install either didn't format the disk or he restored an image that included the directory. In that case, the easiest thing to do is set the Grub default timeout to 0 and the default OS to Win7 and the menu won't appear.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031883

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice