1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wud like background info on a warning from www.updatepatch.info

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by they, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. they

they Thread Starter

Hi Guys
    After not being on the internet 4 ages i'm now trying 2 do some research on the net. For this purpose i'v bought the latest version of Norton AV and have set it automatically update itself.
    I have now just received a warning titled Messenger Service and was wondering if any of u cud help me understand it better. The warning says:

Message from SECURITY MONITOR to WINDOWS USERUSER [sic] on 26/01/2005 15:55:10
    Important Windows Security Bulletin
    =====================
    Buffer Overrun in Messenger Service Allows Remote Code Execution, Virus Infection And Unexpected Computer Shutdowns
    Affected Software:....
    Your system is affected, download the patch from the address below!
    FIRST TYPE THE ADDRESS BELOW INTO YOUR INTERNET BROWSER, THEN CLICK 'OK'. THE ADDRESS WILL DISAPPEAR ONCE YOU CLICK 'OK'.
    www.updatepatch.info

My Questions are:
    - Is this a hoax or from a trusted source?
    - If it is a hoax as i presume owing to the strange language used and spelling mistakes, what does one call this?
    - [email protected] cud happen by clicking OK?
    - Wud u recommend having a look @ the www.updatepatch.info website?
    - How does this get on my pc and how can i stop it in future?

Details: I use Windows2000Pro ServicePack4, InternetExplorer version 5.50.4522.1800IS, my provider is AOL (british version 8.0) who state that their software stops pop ups, b4 the window popped up had just installed Yahoo!Messenger. This is my first time on TechGuy as i only found out about it with a search 4 Updatepatch.info. I have fairly good knowledge of Windows + Pcs in general but on the internet i'm quite a novice (no land line @ home 4 my laptop).

2. Flrman1

Flrman1

Hi they

Welcome to TSG! :)

That is bogus. You need to disable Messenger Service:

Click Start-> Settings-> Control Panel-> Administrative Tools->Services
    Scroll down and highlight "Messenger"
    Right-click the highlighted line and choose Properties.
    Click the STOP button.
    Select Disable or Manual in the Startup Type scroll bar
    Click OK

Bear in mind that the fact that these messenger popups are getting through indicates that you have a poorly configured firewall. The Messenger service uses UDP ports 135, 137, and 138; TCP ports 135, 139, and 445. These ports are open and vulnerable to hackers and trojans and disabling Messenger Service is only treating the symptoms and not the disease as it were.

See here:

http://www.jmu.edu/computing/security/info/winmsg.shtml#block

and here:

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/network/2003/11/11/winxp_hacks.html

I might also add that if you need to upgrade to IE 6 SP1. It is much more secure that IE 5.5.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!