1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WXP Drive Assignments

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by DCMComo, Aug 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DCMComo

DCMComo Thread Starter

I have what I hope is a simple question, although beyond my limited knowledge. On my system I have 2 HDD's (one partition each), 1 CD, 1 DVD, an external HDD with 2 partitions and numerous USB ports (2 on the monitor, 2 on the front of the CPU, and at least 6 on the back of the CPU).

In assigning drive letters using Windows XP Disk Management tool, I have come across a Disk 3 and Disk 4, both removable, and I can't identify what they are. Right now they are assigned as drives G & H and they say 'No Media' . How can I decide what they are and if I can change the drive letters without messing up my system? I have put thumb drives in some of the front USB ports, but they get assigned the next letter at the end of the available list, which currently is K.

What I am going for is having my USB port thumb drives consistently seen as G & H.

Does anyone have a clue what these other two drives are?

2. DCMComo

DCMComo Thread Starter

I forgot to add that I have a 3.5" FDD assigned drive letter A:. Drive letter B is available.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1065727

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice