wxp setup icon instead of drive letter

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

scanner

I've installed wxp from my computer, by coping the files of wxp pro then installing wxp from there .The problem now is that I didn't put the xp files into folder,, as I usually do , I just copied the several folder of wxp onto the drive, then I proceeded to install , and after the successfull installation I discovered that this infamous xp icon is displayed on the drive letter and when I click on it from my computer folder (on the desktop) it start the wxp installation setup, and that is a no no! in my book, so now I want to delete that folder ,which I think is the I386 folder in explorer , but I'm a little reluctant to do so 'cause I don't want things to get ugly and have to spend another day installing the several gegs of stuff so according to the info that I have provided here , is it safe to delete the I386 folder that I think is where the wxp copied files are. The file in question is located between the network service and program files folders.......Ok here is what I just did : I deleted the folder I386 and I'll keep it in the recycler bin for a while, but that didn't change the fact that drive F:\ is still covered by the wxp pro set up icon and when I click on it, the setup windows still appear with all the option for installing wxp and when I click an option it still opens up as if nothing happened although the I386 folder is a goner, so there must be another folder that keep this alive what gives here !! I don't know about the folders Valueadd ,and System Volume Information, are they hands off or to be deleted as well , what else should I take out to solve this "glitch"....Thanks ::mad:

Not sure if this will solve the issue but for a trial,

Right click on the F:\ icon, select open. What happens? If you can see the contents in the drive, look for a file named autorun.inf.

If you find one then rename it to autorun.old. Restart...(not sure if its needed but no harm)

Now try again, double click on that drive letter and see what happens.

scanner

Thanks for the effort but I think I'll wait for more responses and see what happens thanks again pvc9 cheers!

You're welcome

Can you try this, do a search for autorun.inf file on your harddisk(select all the drives).

Do you find any?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I'm not sure why you're rejecting the solution to your problem, an autorun.inf in the root of any drive will attempt to start the application, which is what you seem to be seeing. The solution is to remove the application install files from the root of the drive.

scanner

Johnwill, I am not rejecting the prescriptive I was just cautious on implementing it 'cause this glitch, and the solution for it, is part of a learning curve for me, so I've been thinking about what has been said and it make a lot of sense, but in my mind autorun inf is a notepad file and it must call up something much bigger to produce the gui set up screen with all the options, I already kaputed the I386 folder, and now I'm thinking of getting rid of the valueadd folder as well , and as far as autorun.inf is concerned wouldn't be better to just delete it rather then rename it..Or in renaming it, it's safer 'cause, if it works, one can always delete it latter...

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
autorun.inf does indeed call up the actual application, and you can just edit it and see where it's getting the icon and application. autorun.inf is just a text file, as are most .INF files.

scanner

JohnWill I just renamed the autorun.inf file to autorun.old and it indeed worked, the odious icon is now gone, thanks for your level headed talk, I love when people get to the point in a non confrontational manner. So now, what about that valueadd folder I have a strong inclination to kaput it, but I'm not convinced yet that , it's ok to do it, and one more quick question on renaming, for example if I rename the folder valueadd to let's say valueadd old and things get ugly at boot up and let's say that I have to boot to safe mode, now in safe mode do I go back in explorer and rename the folder to the original name valueadd and that would correct the foul up, and things would get back to normal, right :)

Hi, The "Value Added" folder contains other programs that come with XP. In Home it is the backup system which Pro installs automatically. I don't know what is in the Pro folder.

Open it and see if there is anything in it that you want. Deleting it won't affect your system working. Peace Mal

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts