1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WXP Start up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by norrby, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. norrby

norrby Thread Starter

Hi
    Running WXP PRO
    My system has developed a start up problem

It locks up on the first seek screen and needs a restart button press,
    I let it start normally after that and it will work all day switcing on and off as required.

The problem appeared roughly the time of the last security update.

I have an external 1394 drive that is also having problems with delayed writing.

I tried to start windows with this unplugged but still the same problem.

Any advice or help apreciated

N

2. daddyhominum

daddyhominum

"Seek screen" ?
    Do you mean the first screen during the POST ?

3. norrby

norrby Thread Starter

Thanks
    Yes the first blue screen with the horizontal box with the moving dashes after the initial beep

and before the Welcome appears

N

4. daddyhominum

daddyhominum

I don't see such a screen. The first blue screen is the windows loading screen followed by "welcome"

It sounds like your xp pro is stopping at that point...just before the 'welcome'

Two things occur to me that you may have already tried. The first is to do a system restore to a time before the trouble to test a software fault.
    The second is to reset the bios to default settings to test a bios fault or dump the bios by pin jumpoer or battery removal.

If neither of those helped, i would check the inside for cleanliness and the peripherals/cards for good seating and solid cable connectors, then a fan in the open side to test for over heating.

Next would be a decision between software and hardware: repair install of xp or a strip down of hardwre to basics.

5. norrby

norrby Thread Starter

Thanks for suggestions and yes tried restore.

Just hanging on for now as last night I extended the wait to log out delay and also left my 1394 drive connected without switching off and this morning it loaded all correct.

It always works fine in the day so I will need to wait until morning log-in to test again

N

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538369

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice