1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

X% Available (plugged in, not charging)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ng0206, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ng0206

ng0206 Thread Starter

Yeah, hi, me again.

Aside from my memory issue, this idiotic thing has been showing up in the last few days. This message, found when hovered over my battery icon, varies in percentage by the day, but I have no idea what this means. I'm assuming that either something is lost in translation between my battery and my computer, or my charging cable/port is somehow shorted/damaged internally, as I cannot find any obvious physical damage on either. You guys have any tests I can try? Dell support is a pain in my ***.

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Unplug from the wall and run on battery.
    How full is the battery?
    How long does it run before it turns off?
    Is this the original battery or a replacement.
    If original, how old is the laptop?

I bought a replacement battery for a 2011 netbook. It works great except there is a minor quirk. If we unplug it and use it a bit then plug it back in, it says the not charging.

We've discovered that when the % is high 90% charged or higher, it won't charge.

We've ended up unplugging it, running it below 90% then plugging it back in and it will happily charge to 100%.

3. ng0206

ng0206 Thread Starter

currently, the battery is at 17%, plugged in not charging. This is the original battery. The laptop is approximately a year and a half old from date of purchase. It is typical of DELL laptops like mine to become utter garbage after 2.5-3.5 years of consistent use (data from other purchasers of DELL products). Theoretically, I still have more than a year before this thing kills itself. I do not quite understand your first question. For the second question and solution, are you saying to let the computer run out of power and see if the battery charges to full?

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Yes.
    However if the charging port or the cable is bad, the battery might not charge to 100%

Do this first. Make sure the laptop is off.
    1. Remove the battery
    2. Plug the cable into the laptop and the wall outlet and turn the laptop on.
    Does it work?
    If so, that tells us the port and the cable are okay because it knows it has power.
    If it doesn't work with no battery and connected to the wall, that tells us that one or both parts have a problem.
    To test either of those, sometimes playing with the cord will sometimes get a laptop to power up. That most likely shows that the port on the motherboard needs to be replaced. (If you are lucky it snaps out; if unlucky, it is a solder job).

5. ng0206

ng0206 Thread Starter

Hey, so I don't know what changed, but my computer switched messages this morning when I plugged it in, to "1 hr and 30 min to full charge". It didn't say what percent the battery was at when the message changed, but I'm going to assume its a similar situation to what happened with your battery. I'm now at 89% battery :).

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1200668

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice