1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

x64 Vista Icons DO NOT Show!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by PhoenixClaw, Apr 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PhoenixClaw

PhoenixClaw Thread Starter

OK The last installment i had of Vista i had this problem but somehow fixed it, i had to reinstall due to a corrupted hard disk.

Right now NONE of my icons show except OS icons like Network, My Computer, Recycle Bin, etc. Programs... Folders... Zip Icons you name it nothing shows up.

Please help me with this as i like to have icons not a white sheet of paper on every program i own...

2. Tardious

Tardious

With the white sheets, That means that the shortcut it is trying to reach has been moved or deleted, Are the missing icons are from installed applications ? or are they from windows components too ?

3. PhoenixClaw

There not moved... all my programs are installed in the same place and i checked the shortcuts path and it leads exactly where it should be and its only programs.

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    How did you do this "reinstall"?

5. PhoenixClaw

Is that even a question? :rolleyes:

I booted Vista x64 Business from the DVD formatted and installed a fresh copy of vista...
    How the heck do you install windows!? :confused:

6. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    It looks like, with your reinstall, Vista has somehow lost its path to its own graphical program. Open Default Programs, Open "Associate a file type or protocol with a specific program".
    Scroll down to ICO and see what the associate is. On mine, for example (it can differ in some circumstances) it shows Windows Photo Gallery. it MUST show a graphical program installed on your computer.
    Fwiw. DaveA's question was not dumb. Experimenters and newbies have several different ways of installing, the most contentious being an installation straight over another OS, XP for example or a previous bad installation. (usually leads to a disaster!)

7. PhoenixClaw

Finally someone who knows what there doing :) (y)
    I put all the icon file paths to work with irfanview and i had to manually change the icons to the shortcuts but they work! before even if i changed the paths/icons it still wouldent show.

Thanks alot mate! :)

And for the installation thing yes it was stupid because "upgrading" your windows from the os is a complete waste of time because u have the windows.old bs and then u got other files (viruses, spyware, junk files) left behind to stay on your hd.

Well thanks alot anyways ive had this problem so many times and i could never figure it out lol! Man i can build em even fix error blue screens all that crap and couldent figure this simple thing out i feel dumb >_<...

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702252

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice