1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

xbox 360 and vista won't connect

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jimmybob479, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jimmybob479

jimmybob479 Thread Starter

I recently got a new laptop with vista on it and also have an xbox 360. The problem is, however, that the 360 can't "see" the vista computer. First of all I tried getting media center extender to work, but it says it can't find the extender. The 360 also cannot "find" the vista computer in order to view shared music, photo, and video folders. I've uninstalled the nortion antivirus/firewall that came with the computer and also disabled the vista windows firewall. The network is set to private and media sharing and network discovery and all that is enabled. In the network map vista sees the xbox 360, its just they can't connect and the 360 does not see it. There is no wireless involved, both the laptop and 360 are connected to a hub which is then connected to the router. Please, any help is appreciated. I just got my new laptop and am dying that I can't get media center extender to work with it.

2. jimmybob479

xbox 360 also can't "find" the computer to view shared pictures, music. In windows media player 11 i've enabled it to share with xbox 360 though. I've tried directly connecting the vista laptop and xbox 360 as microsoft's documentation says, have network discovery enabled, etc, but nothing works still....

3. meyert11

meyert11

I connected my Vista & 360 together about a year ago and everything worked fine. However, about 2 weeks ago, on my 360, I went to the Computers section and disconnected it because I was getting a new router and wanted to redo the installation. Well that was a dumb move because now I can't reconnect it for some reason. I've tried everything, but the Vista computer can't see the Xbox 360 as an extender anymore. There is no 360 extender in the Accessories-MediaCenter folder to erase, so it can't be that. Perhaps there is a bug with the latest 360-update regarding the initial setup to a media center computer. This is just a guess. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.

4. jimmybob479

meyert11, Does the 360 also not connect for the shared pictures/video? It can't detect the computer at all for me either. The only thing different is that my vista does detect my 360. I'm not sure if I can "delete" it though, to let it re-do it all, it just lets me either grant access to it or disable it (and i've enabled it). Keep in touch, i'll let you know if i get things working and v

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596367

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice