1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Xbox 360 Live Connection / Update failure (Original Console)

Discussion in 'Games' started by YourHighness96, Nov 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. YourHighness96

YourHighness96 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Darrian
    (I will attempt to be as detailed as I can)

My friend gave me this xbox around one year ago, I know he is a fan of pawn shops but I'm not sure if he bought it from one, I only know that it was bought used.

It is an original Xbox 360 console, Halo edition, warranty expired : Dec 5, 2008

PAST ISSUE(S)

My first problem (now solved) was 2 red rings of death (overheating) since the first time I tried doing anything with it. Took it to a guy's house who fixed it, was recently told by a game store (FX Game Exchange) associate that he probably fixed it... I forgot what the method is called, but he said that method is not a long lasting or forever fix.

TODAY'S ISSUE(S)

(1) I get an error message when I test my Xbox Live connection. Everything connects perfectly except for xbox live particularly. I sign in fine, it is the connection. I tried one suggestion of configuring the network (I have a wireless adapter, bought used but works perfectly), and restoring settings on the wireless network. I've also cleared my system cache and made more space on my hard drive. I only have GTA V, YouTube, and Netflix on there now. I think there's like 4 GB of free space. I was on the phone with Microsoft about this issue for an hour until they blamed my hard drive. I could have missed something in my explanation of the problem to the support person, I'm not sure. The test fails between Internet and Xbox Live on the list of connections that must be tested.

(2) I get an error message when I test my Xbox Live connection after it prompts me to download an update. When I test the XbL connection, after a moment of testing the connection from the internet to Xbox Live an update prompt pops up, the one that says if you don't update you can't connect to live. So I try updating, but it fails.

"If the problem persists try xbox.com/support .... status code 43C5-0000-0080-0300-8007-045D"

Now, I don't know if it's just my hard drive or if I've missed anymore solution attempts or methods of solving the problem. If it's just my hard drive I don't want to start saving for an all new console. I don't know if problem #1 can't be fixed because I have problem #2 or vice versa.

Thanks so much to anyone who would like to take a stab at my issue. I've gone about 7 of the 12 months of my 1 year live membership with this problem! ):

2. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

If it just happened recently it could be an MS problem. there have been a few service issue notices in the past couple weeks.

-
    So, only if you test your connection? Youtube, Netflix, chat.. they all work? not lag or loading trouble on videos?
    Read an answer on yahoo...
    Nothing like that is there?

-
    Did you remember to open the right ports for the XBox? http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/networking/network-ports-used-xbox-live

-
    IF true, you are running very full, that is less than one game needs to install. I know GTA V is very large installed, but shouldn't be that full. You may need to check the other games listed, see how much space they are still using and clear extra items. Look for way too many saves, add-ons you can download again later. check stored videos/music. Game demos.
    If you need more free space you can try a USB stick, would be cheaper to try than a new console.
    You can also try moving some of the saves to the cloud, doing so would allow you to access them from any 360 or even an XB1. (when the game is supported on backward compatability)

-
    Here is a support thread that has a similar problem, OP got a solution but others have not, it may work for you.
    http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_support/xbox_360_support/f/9/t/400349.aspx

Problem #2 may be part of #1. you need the console updated to know for sure.
    And clearing more space, if you can, may help.

3. YourHighness96

First Name:
    Darrian
    I will certainly try these out tomorrow and report back! To clarify, I click sign in and right away it says "(gamertag) signed in!" nothing else happens from there in terms of actually being connected to xbox live and being able to go on netflix or youtube.

4. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

normal "sign in" will happen just to show who is using the xbox, we need to know if you are able to get online at all. If not, it may be a network issue.

I'm assuming you can if the test fails at xb live.
    It does show network and internet connect right?

5. YourHighness96

First Name:
    Darrian
    Yes, test runs smoothly every single time, then when it comes to Live it prompts a new update. I select no, test failure right away. I select yes, system attempts update and failure.

Last piece of advice I got ...

It's your hard disk that is dead, get an 8GB Thumb drive, from a store, put it into one of the free USB slots and use that as your storage device. That will work, and should run you about 10 bucks to play the system.

The other thing..
    Your RROD..
    I used to "Repair" consoles that got this error, but i would replace the system board, which was about 120.00 for the board. If this "repair" cost less than 100.00, it sounds like he used one of the many fine solutions found on Youtube to repair, which all cause other issues..
    1. The towel wrap, where you pull the board, and insert something in the middle to warp the board back the other direction, turn on the system, with the fans disconnected and wrap it with a moist towel, this will warp the board the opposite direction.. It will however bake your NIC connections and USB Connections on your board, which in some cases cause your system to no longer find USB or network connections.
    2. The Q-Tip in the fan trick, which will also run the system to over heat, throws the system in alarm and clears the bios, it will then function correctly when you pull the plug, only it doesn't fix anything, it just bakes the heat sink thermal paste to the point where it solves the ground out.. It might fix it a few weeks, or few hours, not that long..
    3. The Xbox in the oven, yes they put the xbox, up-side-down in the oven at 350 degrees bake for 10min and no more RROD.
    4. The Jumper method, where you bypass a capacitor and run the Processor through a different bus, this method also will cause you issues on your system with other plugged in devices, hard disk, usb, wireless, wired, cd tray etc.. It can also cause fire.

Just buy a used working system from gamestop.. It's worth it..

I tried portforwarding and got confused quickly with numerous windows to open. I logged onto my router's individual network and it did have a quick link for portforwarding though.

6. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

OK, so if it makes it to the internet OK just fails at MS then.... hmm.
    Have you checked your free space? if it is 4 gigs like you mentioned it may be too small for the update so it cancels.
    Free up what you can. maybe even try removing GTA, just for a test. Trying to see if it is a hardware issue or a space issue.

YourHighness96 likes this.
  7. YourHighness96

First Name:
    Darrian
    Deleted GTA, 13.5 GB free space, Update failed, same error message as the original #2 problem

8. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

hmm, weird. 13.5 gigs is still quite small for only one game and a few apps.
    However, it likely isn't a space issue.... One more test down. :D

I'm sure MS had you clear the cache, but if not here is how; http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/system/clear-system-cache

You can try a manual update. http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/system/system-updates-info
    either USB or burn to a disc.

Slim chance there is some app or program causing the conflict. Very rare but sometimes things like that do cause problems.
    I would start uninstalling/deleting games, apps, demos, videos, music you don't use/need. keep game saves, but clear out as much as you can.

My current theory is, it missed a few updates due to lack of space and not being updated it is not connecting to XB Live.
    However, it can still be hardware like MS said, but these tests don't really cost anything but time. Much cheaper than replacing components or the whole system.
    a thought.....Have you tried removing the harddrive, cleaning the contacts and re-seating the drive?

YourHighness96 likes this.
  9. YourHighness96

First Name:
    Darrian
    MS had me clear the cache.

I will check out the manual update.

I have not tried cleaning contacts, I'm not sure I know how or what that is or can potentially do?

10. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Removing the drive: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/system/add-remove-hard-drive

Just trying to think of all the cheap easy tests, slim chance the contacts got dirty over the years. IF you think they are OK and not something you want to do we can skip it.

I'm starting to run out of ideas here, I hope the manual update works and fixes the connection issue.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1161100

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice