1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Xbox 360 NAT Issues with P600R modem/router and WRT54GS router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by DeathByJerm, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DeathByJerm

DeathByJerm Thread Starter

Well, as the title says, I am experiencing difficultly in getting the NAT setting on my Xbox 360 to Open status. I've searched in many places on the internet, including these forums for an answer and I've yet to find one which solves my issues, so I decided it was time to finally ask for help.

What I'm working currently working with is the Embarq P600R ADSL modem/router combo (If there's a more specific name for it, I don't know it as I don't have the packaging - I'm simply going by what was printed on the modem itself) working through my Linksys WRT54GS router by way of the ethernet ports of both units. The WRT54GS is then hardwired to four different computers, and broadcasts to my Xbox 360 wirelessly via microsoft's network adapter specifically designed for the unit (compatability between the adapter and router isn't an issue, just trying to cover all my bases). Because of this, all of the LAN ports on my WRT54GS are currently being used, preventing me from attempting to simply make my WRT54GS act as only access point, since to my knowledge I would need to plug the modem/router into one of its LAN ports instead of the ethernet port.

Thus far I've tried enabling UPnP on both units, setting up a DMZ for my 360's IP on the WRT, and Forwarding Ports 88 (TCP/UDP) and 3074 (TCP/UDP) on the WRT, both individually and simultaneously.

I also had somewhat of a breakthrough when I switched the P600R to bridge mode, as it gave my 360, which connects wirelessly, an Open NAT with no connection issues. However, doing so rendered the four hardlined computers in my home unable to connect to the internet, so I was forced to change it back to routing mode, and have found myself at a brick wall of sorts when attempting to decide what to do next.

In addition, I do believe the issue lies in either the interactions between the P600R and WRT54GS, or simply the P600R itself, as I've had the WRT54GS for years and experienced little to no problems with it before, especially considering how familiar I've become with manipulating its settings. However, the P600R is new, and with it came my troubles.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That should have worked, because then you just have a modem and the Linksys router. Are you sure you didn't have the router also in some kind of "non-router" mode?

Does the Linksys have an "Access Point (AP) Mode"? If it does, then using it in that mode, with the modem/router as your only router, should work (giving you just the modem/router on which to do port forwarding).

Using both routers connected as you have them with a static IP assigned to the Linksys WAN (Internet) and the Linksys in the modem/router's DMZ should also work--giving you just the Linksys to deal with port forwarding.

3. DeathByJerm

I don't believe I had my router in a non-router mode while I had the modem in bridge, especially considering my 360 was able to wirelessly connect - I honestly have no idea why it could, but my PCs could not.

As far as using my router as an access point, from what I've read I would need a free LAN port, which I don't have =\.

The last option you mentioned sounded good, but I can't seem to find a DMZ option on the modem - I even tried looking in the index of the online user's guide, no dice.

Maybe its under a different name? Or maybe I'm missing something?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You are thinking of the way to use ANY router as ethernet switch and wireless access point. And you are correct--if you did that you would need to buy a small ethernet switch to make up for the LAN port you'd lose. Some routers, I don't know about your Linksys, have a setting that essentially removes the router function (NAT, Dhcp server) and makes the WAN port essentially just another LAN port. See attached for the option on my Belkin router.

Attached Files:

5. David_Jr

David_Jr

I had the same problem as you and I tried static IP and using DMZ and many of the things you tried and it did not solve the problem. My thread on this is here: http://forums.techguy.org/networking/912982-netgear-nat-moderate-no-matter.html. It may be of help to you.

6. DeathByJerm

Sorry for the delayed response, ISP went down for a bit.

Anyway, after looking around (both in the settings and tech support forums), I don't believe there is way a to have the Linksys become an access point without using a LAN port.

The only real option I'm seeing at the moment is bridging the modem. Maybe I'm doing something wrong in the setup?

EDIT: @David_Jr, yea that would make my Linksys into an access point, which I would love to do, but I can't spare any LAN ports to do it. =\ Thanks for trying to help though.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914068

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice