1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Xbox 360 To The Net?:(

Discussion in 'Games' started by rudeboy420, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rudeboy420

rudeboy420 Thread Starter

Hey,

I've finally gotten around to hooking up my xbox 360 to the net. Now I have everything i need. I have an eithernet switch hooked up to a cabel modem running just my home computer and now my xbox. I go through the xbox connection test and it tells me it cannot get the IP adress but the light on the router says it is connected Does anyone know why?

2. GripS

GripS

Are you using a 'switch' or a 'router'?

3. rudeboy420

Switch sorry

4. GripS

GripS

Have you tried the connection test bypassing the switch?

5. rudeboy420

Not yet but i will but do i really need to do that all the time cause the switch should be working

6. GripS

GripS

Your mistake is going with a ethernet switch instead of a router.

"Routers for home networks (often called broadband routers) also can join multiple networks. These routers are designed specifically to join the home (LAN) to the Internet (WAN) for the purpose of Internet connection sharing. In contrast, neither hubs nor switches are capable of joining multiple networks or sharing an Internet connection. A home network with only hubs and switches must designate one computer as the gateway to the Internet, and that device must possess two network adapters for sharing, one for the home LAN and one for the Internet WAN. With a router, all home computers connect to the router equally, and it performs the equivalent gateway functions."

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I would agree with GripS on this. Most likely your ISP is only allowing one IP address through your modem. Having more than one machine on the line asking for an IP address would cause the machine/s to not get an IP address. For an easier fix you will need to replace the swtich with a router.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538380

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice