1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

xbox failed mtu test

Discussion in 'Games' started by damgrunt, Feb 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. damgrunt

damgrunt Thread Starter

well i dont have it hooked into anything but the wall outlet. the ethernet cable plugs right into the wall and im guessing it goes to a router somewhere. i'm in a hotel and will be there for a while. so i called the front dest to ask what the MTU was at, they made a phone call to their Tech and he told them at least 1500. but my xbox360 continues to fail this test. it only needs 1346 so what the crap??? some body help me!! i want to play
    HALO 2...is that too much to ask?

2. Jones

Jones

Front desk?? Are you in a hotel??

If so, you might be experiencing lag from multiple other users on the same connection.

3. damgrunt

damgrunt Thread Starter

yes i am. so even if they're puttin' out 1500 for MTU if there are alot of people there then im screwed? what could i do? would there be a way to set up a connection specifically to my room? cause if im going to be there for a long time they'll make it happen if it can.

4. Jones

Jones

Don't expect the hotel to bend over that much for you. In my travel experience, hotel tech support doesn't really know their ***es from a hole in the ground. Anyway, even if the speed of the connection is 'technically' 1500 or more, the actual functioning speed of most connection is usually much lower. I have a broadband connection that provides 'up to 5000' in transfer speed, but I only ever register about half that.

Chances are also good that they have their connection servicing more than one user simultaneously through routers. It's a cheap and easy way to provide internet to more than one user off of the same connection. If this is the case, each user takes up a portion of the bandwidth, leaving less and less for you.

5. damgrunt

damgrunt Thread Starter

so then there would be a way to make it work? even though the tech support dude may be retarded. our company always has at least three suites booked and we get treated like royalty for some reason. anyway, so what would he need to do to get me xbox live? and ill get him to do it hopefully. if not then i'll have no way to play, right. unless those wireless cards that get the laptop computers connection can plug into an xbox somehow, even then they might not be fast enough. by the way way thanks for this help your giving, this site is pretty kool.

6. Jones

Jones

I really don't know what you can do in that situation to get a faster connection that is stable. Wireless will definitely not help the situation, as they are usually slower than the equivalent wired connection. Do you have a computer with you? If you do, go to this site:

http://www.speedtest.net/

and run the test. It will tell you exactly what transfer speeds you're getting in your room. If you're not even close to the 1500 that they claim, you might not be able to do anything to improve the situation.

EDIT: Duh, I just asked you if you had a computer, and you've been responding on these forums. Oh man, I need to go home and lay down.... :rolleyes:

7. Jones

Jones

No problem. This site has been alot of help to me in the past. There are a lot of really knowledgeable users here. I'm just glad to help, if I can.

8. damgrunt

damgrunt Thread Starter

thanks again. i'll get to the hotel tonight and go to the site and run that test.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/545662

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice