1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XBOX Live to router to wireless adapter to w router???

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Kingcodez, Mar 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kingcodez

Kingcodez Thread Starter

Ok. First I'm happily running XBOX Live through the Linksys Wireless game adapter. (sometimes it cant see my network im planning on getting a better wireless router) What I wanna do is connect 2 Xboxes, this Laptop (the wireless card dosent work anymore for some reason and yes I did set my router to allow this pc to connect) and in the future my BLEH PS2 :p
    So last week and 40 $ later I bought the Linksys 5 port SWITCH, and a lot of cat 5 cables. hook the laptop and Xboxes up, flip my box on and BAM no connection (but since i was bummed i did like playing halo against my self on the other lcd screen) So I brought it back my friend says i needed a router.

WILL THIS WORK!!?1!one?question!?
    umm i need BOTH xboxes to be able to get on the net.
    It's a wireless B network and the adapter is a Linksys wireless B game adapter.

Thanks in Advance!
    -Kingcodez
    [email protected]

(now on to my networking problems...)

Oh this laptop is connected through the very dsame adapter i really hate to keep swapping cables

CANT SOMEONE MAKE A Y SPLITTER GAH!

2. Kingcodez

Kingcodez Thread Starter

3. Rikku

Rikku

Yes you need a router.

Right now either your xbox or laptop is getting the external ip address you've been assigned from your broadband modem.

The router will take that ip address for itself and then section off a new group of ip addresses which it will hand out to each internal device (xbox, ps2, laptop, etc)....

basically, yeah, you need a router!

4. Kingcodez

Kingcodez Thread Starter

so my wireless router splits up the ip and gives me a piece of pie no pizza (im hungry :/) adding another router will split up this PIECE into more PIECES?
    X.X.XX.XX.1 lets say is this laptops ip through the adapter
    the router will make the piece smaller so my xboxes can get a bite?

Thanks so much I've been to a ton of boards for months and now i have the answer
    off to radio shack

5. srhoades

srhoades

If I understand your question you shouldn't need two routers.

6. Kingcodez

Kingcodez Thread Starter

oops The MAIN router is downstairs the wireless adapter is basically taking the place of a ethernet cable connecting to the second router

7. Rikku

Rikku

hum. i didn't realize you already had a router :D

You should only need ONE router. Let's start at the beginning of your network. YOu have a cable/dsl modem which is plugged into a ________? And then into that device you have plugged what? and so on?

8. Kingcodez

Kingcodez Thread Starter

Problem is solved it worked :)

well... *playes song*
    The modem is connected to the wireless router
    the wireless router is connected to the wireless adapter
    the wireless adapter is connected to a wired router
    the wired router is connected to the 2 xboxes and ps2

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/216427

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice