1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Xbox Modding

Discussion in 'Games' started by StumpedTechy, Mar 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy Thread Starter

I have my nephew who asks me all kinds of things technical and when I don't know the answer I come here :)

My nephew has a Linux softmodded Xbox. This was done because his best friend is from overseas and they routinely swap back and fourth games and they had problems with their regions of the games until I found this softmod for them. (a whole new rant I won't go into)

Now however my newphew wants to start doing a ton of other things with his xbox like watch movies and play music and whatnot.

He came across this and REALLY wants to do this. -

XBMC (Xbox Media Center)

My questions are as follows. Will I have to undo my old softmod to put this on in place? Will this effectively break his game swapping ability with his friend or does this softmod also allow for playing all regions.

2. Whiteninja89

Whiteninja89

I'm not too sure about the legality of that on this site becuase many Xbox apps (non linux) are built using the Microsoft Xbox XDK and it illegal to posses that unless you're a developer. You should be able to play videos and whatnot using linux which IS legal.
    Hopefully someone with more linux knowlege could help, as I have never tried linux on Xbox before.
    On sidenote an Xbox with linux does NOT allow you to play backups or games from other regions as far as I know.

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Yeah... I think this does fall into the realm of illegality (if that's a word :D) Considering that XBOXs are not meant for modding in the way you have described because consoles are region coded, so your nephew shouldn't be able to play games other than the NTSC versions.

I guess it's up to the mods to decide.

*edited* put son instead of nephew ><

4. $teve

$teve

Yep,we have to close this one.

;)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/452159

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice